PDA

View Full Version : Is slash pine similiar to long leaf pne?

chuckm
05-12-2006, 12:52 PM
There is so much wood around here going to waste; its sad. Post rita hurricaine mess will be with us a long while. Ive seen several wood miezer portable saw mills around and a small percentage is being harvested. I just like wood ; all types; its good stuff. Any way one site had a proper millwright who had slash pine. Should I investigate, or is it just a loblolly type?

Bob Smalser
05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Loblolly is around the weight of Doug Fir....Slash is the same weight as Longleaf....much heavier, and was intermixed with Longleaf back when you could buy "Longleaf Pine".

So if you've some logs available sufficiently old to have developed heartwood, you may have boat wood. These pines don't begin to develop heartwood until 20 years of age, so if these are from the normal 40-year-rotation plantations, you won't get much usable boat wood from the logs, although the sapwood is fine for any other construction lumber except rafters, which ideally should be all heartwood for the same reason as in boats.

chuckm
05-12-2006, 02:31 PM
So if their is a good supply of Slash heartwood; WOW. They cut it and it sell to the large mills as any other loblolly pine. I should be able to buy realitively cheap. Im building a Grey Seal. My frames are made of ash. Floors are solid whiteoak-live oak, no laminations. The ash frames are laminations. Have begun strongback finally. Well I needed more shop space/building space and that took time to complete. Question; The keelson will be next step. Design states using 3 lamination of 3/8 planks down the bottom of the floor, to build up the keelson. I was thanking Cyprus, but along came this Slash pine source. what say you????

Mrleft8
05-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Back up...... Ash frames? You planning on replacing them every 4 or 5 years? Or are you going to dry sail this boat, and store it in a garage in between?

chuckm
05-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Thats what the designer called for. They do bent exceptionally well, and machines great as well. Yes the Seal is a trailerable 22 ft folkboat like double-ender. I would CPES and paint over. I beileve Gert was building his frames with D-fur. Now that I know more, the local E-Tx harwood mill has sasafras, and that I'm told is a very rot resistant and bendabel wood.

Bob Smalser
05-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Slash Pine is exactly the same weight as your local Red Oak. You can mill it onto a solid keelson and let it season a couple years, or you can lam it from thinner stock that'll dry adequately in a year properly stacked and stickered. Make sure it's at the correct moisture content for the glue you use...epoxy needs 12% or preferably lower and resorcinol needs 15% or lower. The various poly adhesives have no marine track record yet, and I wouldn't take such risks in a 700-hour project.

The entire boat can be made from Slash, but it's best used as framing material with lighter woods like cedar, cypress or sassafras used for planking. In small boats like yours, cedar is ideal if you cna get it, as cypress makes for a heavy boat, let alone Slash Pine.

Like Doug, I don't like either ash or spruce in any boat, as there are stronger and more durable substitutes like your Slash Pine than can often be reduced in size to achieve the same strength and approximate weight. That's especially true in your climate...what is often balleyhoo'd and can be got away with in Maine or Puget Sound often rots quickly in your warmth and humidity. If you do keep the ash frames, then soak them thoroughly in a bath of copper napthante, let them dry for a few weeks then prime using red lead before painting. I'm unsure CPES will work as well as copper to prevent rot, but of you want to try it, then soak them in CPES and prime using red lead after it dries.

PeterSibley
05-12-2006, 05:09 PM
I've got a small plantation of 50 year old Slash...and I wish it was almost anything else...good stuff for concrete formwork ! :(

Old Bingey
05-12-2006, 07:06 PM
There was some wonderful old stuff blown down by Katrina and Rita... probably enough good live oak to build a new Constitution.
Slash pine is good boat stuff only if grown in a naturally crowded situation so the annual rings are close together and the heartwood winds up hard and dense. Indeed, the Caribbean pine of lore (P. Ellioti var. densa) is a variety of slash pine, the heartwood of which is so dense that it will sink in seawater. Plantation grown slash pine is worth about $3.00 a ton in Florida right now.