PDA

View Full Version : Give me a reality check guys.

Dale R. Hamilton
05-10-2006, 01:32 PM
February 2005, I contact this guy Don Ford at Don's Automotive in Nashville, Tennessee. Don't remember who referred me. I tell him I want to buy a rebuilt Subaru motor- for installation into this boat. He says "can do", $1400, need a deposit now of $500. I send him a check for $500 (I know, I know, shoulda had a contract). A year goes by while I'm building on the boat. January this year, I call and he says next week- and then next week again. By March I'm fed up, evidentially he is too because he says he will return my deposit. Well, that check never comes. Its always some excuse. So Monday, I drive into Nashville to see him, having discovered his street address. Its in the lowest dirty crummy section of Nashville. The address is actually a used tire store. The attendant here tells me Don's place in in their back yard. I go back there wishing I had a gun with me- there's no sign, dirty small garage building, windows boarded up and painted over, upsidedown cars here and there, and all locked up, er... chained up. There's a junk car there with 2 guys in the front seat dringing beer from a paper bag. They tell me Don has gone home- don't know where.

My immediate reaction is to file court action against him for the $500, and court costs. Around here that costs $130. If it goes to court I would probably win because I have my cancelled check. BUT- small claims court has no power of enforcement. I can call on Bruno the collector, and he will visit the guy trying to collect- but even if he does, Bruno keeps 50%.

My "considered" reaction is- Ain't gonna happen. If you swept all of Don's resources in a pile- it wouldn't be worth $500. He does not have that kind of money. He has no reputation to protect- There is no business there that I can discover.

So, do I write it off as experience, or should I go after this thief as a matter of principle?

Dan McCosh
05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Maybe you can get on "Judge Judy".

Victor
05-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Experience.

huisjen
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I know of a guy in Maryland who dumped a bushel of dead crabs through the sunroof of a deadbeat's car, while the deadbeat was due to be out of town for a month. Surely revenge is worth something.

Dan

geeman
05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Not me,,I dont give up that easily, I'd keep going back until I catch him there.But then,,we tend to do things a little differently in the south,If you dont stop the guy ,,he'll just keep doing what he's doin, to somebody else, and he knows a lot of people wont call him on it.

John of Phoenix
05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
There's a junk car there with 2 guys in the front seat drinking beer from a paper bag. They tell me Don has gone home- don't know where.

Which one do you think was Don?
You can probably take it as bad debt write off. It eases the $ting a little bit.

Victor
05-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey, send me $500 and I'll have yer motor for ya a year from now, if you can find me.

ishmael
05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
It stinks when someone doesn't do what they say they will do. It gets really ripe when there's money involved.

I don't know how some folks sleep at night. For some things there's good old-fashioned rationalization, but how can you rationalize ripping someone off so baldly? Maybe he's been meaning to get to it, but it has cut into his beer drinking time? That can be an endless rationalization, very short on the rational.

Wouldn't it be nice if before you found another motor you got a call saying this one was done? But then, given what you know now, would you put it in your boat?

Write it off.

Have you called around for a motor out of a wrecked Suburu? I'd think a low mileage out of a wreck might be better than a rebuilt. The darn things run forever.

Dale R. Hamilton
05-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Ish- as a matter of fact I have a nice new motor setting here from a shop I trust. You are right- I'm sure this bozo is not capable of building an engine I'd want to put in my boat.

Meerkat
05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Ok, this is reality. Now, give me a check! ;) ;) ;)

paladin
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
there's a Johnny Cash song about "3 cubic yards of ready mix cement"....and I knew the guy that did it....the act...not write the song......:D

Phillip Allen
05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
urban myth I think...supposed to have happened to one of the Tysons locally

Katherine
05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Ok, this is reality. Now, give me a check! ;) ;) ;)

it bounced :D

Meerkat
05-10-2006, 10:45 PM
it bounced :D
Ok, make it a USPO money order, please! ;)

RichKrough
05-10-2006, 10:58 PM
If Bruno works on contingency I would let Bruno take the job. Even you don't get the $250. at least Don will be eating jello for awhile