PDA

View Full Version : a Linux Wireless Networking Question

High C
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I've been playing with various Linux distrobutions lately, a fully installed Linspire on a desktop machine, and various "Live CDs" on a laptop.

At the moment I'm using a Suse Live CD on the laptop and have observed that the wireless signal strength reads only around 40% to my router upstairs. The same laptop running Wondows shows 5 of 5 possible bars (full strength) on its signal strength meter, when in the same location in the house.

The difference is real, I can sense that all is slower under the Linux.

Any thoughts?

Thanks....

Meerkat
05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Not really, although MS is notorious for padding things to make themselves look good.

GregW
05-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Try pinging an IP and compare speeds.
IIRC as root you can type "iwconfig" to get some statistics on your wireless connection.

High C
05-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Try pinging an IP and compare speeds.
IIRC as root you can type "iwconfig" to get some statistics on your wireless connection.

Thanks Greg, that's a fine idea. I did run an online bandwidth test and got speeds only about a tenth of normal, so there is something wrong. I get about 90% signal strength under Windows, and 35% under Suse.... Hmmmm...

Meerkat
05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Make sure your drivers match your wireless card's chipset.

GregW
05-10-2006, 07:45 PM
One thing that seems to work is to change from DHCP to a static IP address, I have feeling that may cure your problem.

High C
05-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Sounds like soild advice, either the wrong driver, or a DHCP issue. Since this is a "Live" CD version, i'm stuck with the limited drivers that come on the disc.

:) :)

Meerkat
05-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Live CD's are good starters, but you've really only arrived in Linux when you configure and build your own kernel. That will virtually always result in increased performance and a smaller memory footprint. It's really not all that hard to do, especially with some of the GUI based build tools. (Unlike that other OS, everything you need to build your system is included and at the same attractive price! ;))

Meerkat
05-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Given the low signal strength, I'd be inclined to suspect a driver that isn't properly dynamically controlling the card's transmitter power. In theory at least, a WiFi card is supposed to use the lowest power output required for a good quality signal.