PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Japan, Anyone Cruising There?

Rick Starr
05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I've read several cruising sailing yarns lately, many involving circumnavigations, and no one seems to mention stopping over in China or Japan. My wife and I were discussing the incidence of piracy farther south and were wondering if these dangers sent sailors still farther south to avoid them.

Thoughts?

paladin
05-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Piracy is alive and well.....and Japan is just too damn expensive for anything......it will take a very large chunk of your cruising budget unless you have lots of disposable cash......I thought some consumer electronics might be cheaper in Japan....but found out that it was actually cheaper in Hong Kong...I had just left Hong Kong and turned around and went back....and still saved money......rigging wire that I had replaced in Japan started rusting two weeks later....one strand of the wire was mild steel.....

PeterSibley
05-10-2006, 02:34 AM
You see quite a few articles in Oz cruising mags ...Cruising Helmsman for one, on Japan .Pretty positive,lots of good safe harbours, really pleasant people.Expensive but work is available teaching English and if you can live aboard while there it apparently reasonable.The tip in the story I read was to look for a town with a rail connection to a major city if you need to work.

Wild Wassa
05-10-2006, 04:23 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p2c949d06c92f48a766c0e3ed90b2b674/fc3caace.jpg

I thought that the wooden boats in Japan were cool but this boat signage leaved a lot to be desired. I found this quite bizarre because every thing else in Japan appeared very well finished ... I did like the beer machines in the streets. I thought that the beer machines which also dispensed Nikko whisky were very surrealistic ... because coming from a protected nancy society to a place like Japan, having the beer machines showed a great trust in people, not to do the wrong thing. I really like the responsibility that the Japanese showed, to the correct use of their beer machines. If we had self serve beer machines in Oz on street corners ... I could be trusted not to abuse them.

Imagine beer machines in our western societies for anyone to use if you have the right change? ... well I just can't.

Warren.

PeterSibley
05-10-2006, 04:42 AM
One stubby Thursday arvo, beer from a dispenser ? I don't think so :)