PDA

View Full Version : Barto Melonseed Plan Question

Steve Lansdowne
11-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Part #7 for the 13 1/2 foot Barto Melonseed is described as a "batten." It is a piece of plywood roughly 6" square that is shown positioned at the edge of the deck roughly where the rope traveler connects to the deck. I figure this is a piece of deck reinforcement that should be glued under that point in the deck, though it is shown sitting atop a deck beam and thus likely the beam would need to be mortised to accommodate it. Does this make sense? I'd not heard the term "batten" used to describe something like this, but I can't figure out what else it might be for. Seems to me that it is not really needed, as the beam reinforces the deck at that point.

Another question concerns whether 7 1/2' oars will fit through the smaller cockpit opening as shown in the plans in order to be stowed under the side decks while under sail. I estimate that the longer cockpit opening would be needed, though I'm not sure.

[ 11-22-2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Steve Lansdowne ]

Steve Lansdowne
11-22-2004, 08:10 PM
bump

KenC
11-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Sorry - I don't know the answer. But when you find out, let us know. The Barto Melonseed is one of the MANY boats on my to-build list.
Ken

BrianR
11-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi Steve. Indeed, I believe the piece you are referring to is simply a pad to reinforce deck hardware related to the sail plan. I'm installing a piece of ash there, flush with the decking beams, and it'll be fastened with dowels through the deck beam and shear clamp.

As for the Oar length question - well you've got me there! I just ran downstairs to the garage in a panic, and determined that I have 6' 10" between the bulkheads I installed. Jeezzz......

I think I'll ask Roger what he thinks about that....

[ 11-22-2004, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: BrianR ]

Steve Lansdowne
11-23-2004, 07:46 PM
To be safe I'm thinking of going with a cockpit as long as the longer one in the plan and yet as narrow as the smaller one in the plan. I don't want to make the side decks so small that I can't sit on them in some comfort when sailing.