PDA

View Full Version : River is in the hospital

Tar Devil
05-07-2006, 09:06 PM
He woke me this morning around 3:00 throwing up. I took him outside where he collapsed, no sign of life. Limp. I couldn't even detect breathing. I believed him to be dead.

I carried him in to tell Cheryl my buddy was dead, and as I told her what happened I noticed a small movement in his chest. His breathing continued to increase. One eye was partly open and I could see his pupil following my face. 30 minutes later he had both eyes open. Progressively he regained head movement, then began moving his legs. About 90 minutes after his inital collapse he was walking, although unsteady.

Called my vet. She said give him pedialite and keep an eye on him. By nine AM he was practically normal again, though slightly slower than usual. However, around 5 this afternoon the throwing up began again and he lost control of his bowels. Then he began passing blood.

We should hear results of the blood tests within the hour.

I didn't realize how how much that little pooch meant to me.

Later,

Phil

Katherine
05-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Sorry Phil. I'll say a prayer for you. :(

Joe (SoCal)
05-07-2006, 09:10 PM
:( Awwww man sooooooooooo sorry awwwww :( :( :(

mavawreck
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope he is ok. We almost lost our lab a few weeks ago due to a vet mishap. They grow on ya.

ishmael
05-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Best wishes, Phil.

A dog, an old friend, is special. I hope River recovers.

It sounds like it could be poisoning. We've had a series of dog poisonings by some sick fellow, in the news lately. No real motive, the owners hadn't made enemies. Just some sick guy randomly poisoning dogs. They haven't caught him yet.

cs
05-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Phil, I hope River is okay.

Chad

skuthorp
05-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Sorry Mate, My job tomorrow is to take an old friend and her dog to the vet. Last trip, she lost her husband recently, she's coming to stay for a few days. Hell of a thing.
Best of luck and I'll keep my thoughts focussed
Jeff

John of Phoenix
05-08-2006, 08:46 AM
We're pullin' for ya, River.

TomF
05-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Best wishes, Phil.

t.

Matt J.
05-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Best wishes River, Phil, and family. You'll do your best for him, and he knows it.

-matt

Tar Devil
05-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Picked him up from the emergency hospital this morning and transfered him to my vet. They'll keep him on IV's for a couple of days.

His liver and pancreas had elevated counts, which may be caused by dehydration. After the IV's have done their job they'll recheck his blood counts to see if he still has a problem

At this point the vet thinks the dog ingested something, thinks it will pass.

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and well wishes! We do seem to get attached to these little critters...

Later,

Phil

Concordia...41
05-08-2006, 05:40 PM
That's good news. I'm sorry I missed the thread earlier.

I'll keep thinking good puppy thoughts :)

Meerkat
05-08-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm glad River is doing better! Hope it's just a passing thing!

My kid, Kip, has been kind of coughing/wheezing/choking and acting like he's throwing up and, as far as I can tell, hasn't eaten a bite today. He does have his "not eating" days though. (I believe he's had his kennel cough shot within the past 2 months.)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Hope he makes a complete recovery Phil....

Tar Devil
05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Vet did more blood work today, said the IV's had done their job and all his blood counts except one were pretty much normal. Called me to come get my little buddy. He's in my lap as I type this.

Vet is convinced the dog ate some medicine that had been dropped and unretrieved. Probably true... several times I've found a pill of Lauren's lying on the floor. Cheryl also said she had dropped one of her cancer related pills and was unable to find it. Lesson learned... never give up looking for lost pills.

He still has his IV catheter which will be removed tomorrow if he has no problems tonight.

Except for being $800.00 further in the hole, I'm happy!:)

Thanks again for the kind thoughts!

Regards,

Phil

Katherine
05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Good News! :)

Joe (SoCal)
05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Whew glad it all worked out.

Meerkat
05-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Sorry if I'm not up on all the details, but what kind of dog is River?

Tar Devil
05-09-2006, 04:40 AM
He's a chihuahua, David. I talked about him a couple of times on one of your threads.

But... I realize sometimes I'm a bit hard to see...:)

Later,

Phil

Meerkat
05-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Ooooh, right. I recall the pic now. Big for a Chihuahua I thought. ;) :)

Mrleft8
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
He's a chihuahua, David. I talked about him a couple of times on one of your threads.

But... I realize sometimes I'm a bit hard to see...:)

Later,

Phil
Anyone see Phil lately? I've been wondering how his pooch is doing....... Haven't seen him on line in a month or so.... :D

paladin
05-09-2006, 08:47 PM
..glad to hear pooch is better....I have same problem but I am very careful not to drop any medication. A couple of years ago Little Critter had some kidney problems and vet thought she had picked up something.....

Erasmus B Dragon
05-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Dis iz a funnee sawng bowt wano dem gods

http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/littlegomez.pdf

Reelee phunnie bitt.