PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Kit Boats - Workstar 540

Chuck Gullage
11-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Has any heard of or had any experience with the Advance Kit Boats (in UK) Workstar 540? The Workstar is a 17'8" V hull garvey kit. They use a method called the Prefix system - The CNC laser cut pieces assemble like a puzzle and then are fastened with wooden pegs and finally glued with epoxy. All of the seems are tapped and glassed. I sent away for their video tape and it looks like an interesting and fun project. The kit does seem a little expensive - with shipping from the UK it comes out to be in the $4500 range. Here's their website..

http://www.working-boats.co.uk/wb_broc.htm#The%20builder

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this kit...

JimD
11-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Haven't any experience with them but a hard chined ply panelled boat isn't all that hard to make yourself, it would just take a bit longer. If it was a curvacious planked wine glass hull with all the frames, bulkheads, and strakes precut I could see going for it, maybe. Perhaps it comes down to whether or not you want to put together a prefab boat or build your own from scratch.

Hal Forsen
11-11-2003, 05:36 PM
I looked at the Workstar pretty hard for a while; it would go together really fast and I liked the design but in the end I could not swallow the price.
HF

JimD
11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Anyone out there ever built from a complete kit? I'd be interested in hearing about the experience. The kit makers always seem to make it sound like its as easy as assembling an Ikea bookshelf for obvious marketing reasons.

Mike Vogdes
11-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Chuck,

I looked at a workstar at the Woodenboat show in St Michaels a few years back, it looked to be a real nice quality boat and plenty strong, very intresting construction method. I have often wondered why they havn't taken off here in the states. Your gonna wind up spending close to that much anyway if you go with top quality materials and more familar construction methods.