PDA

View Full Version : Alice Cooper concert ...

TomF
05-05-2006, 08:18 AM
My wife went last night with a friend, and came home raving about it. The man's a very fine entertainer, who takes the art of theatrical showmanship and stagecraft very seriously. Just commanded the stage, apparently.

Me, I didn't go. My night out comes on Saturday, when I get to hear Brahms.:D

Popeye
05-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Alice just left here , i think Willie Nelson is in town

Bruce Taylor
05-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Is that Brahms fella gonna rassle a snake?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Brahms, Live?

My view of his music is forever coloured by having shared a small house with a clarinet player - who was honing one of the clarinet suites.

The phrases; "Yup that'll do" and "Close enough - the audience won't notice" have no place in the clarinet player's vocabulary...

Popeye
05-05-2006, 08:34 AM
best concert i ever saw was a few years back , they dug up every old rocker they could find , dusted 'em off and put 'em on stage for three days in a field out behind a gas station , Heart , Pat Benatar , Lynard Skynard , Steppenwolf etc etc , they all sounded great , 'cept Heart sucked without Nancy Wilson

TomF
05-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Brahms, Live?Well, not the man himself. Though as they're singing the German Requiem, perhaps they'll manage to conjure him.

I sang a lot of Brahms lieder, years ago; glorious stuff, but very tough. Difficult both for the performer and for the audience, as Brahms' melodic style frequently has no catchy hooks for folks to hang their hats on. Instead, there are these gargantuan long lines, which trade back and forth between different voices in the music. If the performers either don't or can't get this reciprocal voicing, the whole thing can just turn leaden and dull.

Unlike, say, Schumann or Schubert, Brahms is all about complexity, a thick texture, buoyed up by a very firmly developed musical structure. While in his vocal works Brahms shares Schumann's and Schubert's commitment to marrying music and lyrics, Brahms could hardly be farther from either Schubert's transparent textures or Schumann's amazing melodies.

Which makes Brahms much harder work. You have to get inside his head, tease out the nuances and the musical motifs. But it's all there to be found - layer upon layer of meaning, and history. Most of the musical lines in the Reqiem, for instance, draw on bits of Gregorian Chant, and the occasional Chorale. If you know those aural references - and the original lyrics set to them - then the music takes on added resonance and power. Done well, Brahms is hugely rewarding, sounding like a smoky 18 year old Scotch tastes.

Popeye
05-05-2006, 08:58 AM
ZZzzz..wheee

TomF
05-05-2006, 09:00 AM
ZZzzz..wheeeummmm ... that's why the good wife went to Alice ...:D

cs
05-05-2006, 12:18 PM
My man Alice. I would love to see him in concert. The man single handly redefined rock.

Chad

TomF
05-05-2006, 12:21 PM
My man Alice. I would love to see him in concert. The man single handly redefined rock.

ChadHoped you'd show up, Chad. Sasha's friend waited 20 years to have him play a concert in Atlantic Canada ... and wasn't disappointed.

cs
05-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Just mention Cooper and I'll come running. I hope he hangs around long enough for me to go see a show.

The last concert I went to (not counting school strings) was the KISS farewell tour with Ted Nuggent.

Tom I think you missed out on the chance of a lifetime. Looks like on the 7th he is playing at Ottawa, Ontario, Civic Centre. Looks like the closest he comes to me is in Detriot.

Chad

Dale R. Hamilton
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Alice Cooper is a man?

cs
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Come on now Dale.;) Alice Cooper started out being the name of the band and the lead singer was Vincent Damon Furnier, the son of a deacon. In 1972 he changed his name to Alice Cooper.

Chad

Popeye
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Alice Cooper is a man?
approximately

TomF
05-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Tom I think you missed out on the chance of a lifetime. ...I've missed chances I've regretted more.

Missed The Who's farewell tour stop in Vancouver - no money for the tickets. Ditto Buddy Guy in a small venue, though at least he's still playing. But in 1989 I got to see Bonnie Raitt do a 2 hour workshop on slide guitar, from 20 feet away.:cool:

Missed Yo Yo Ma in recital, and Cecilia Bartoli too, and I'm both a cellist and a classical singer. But at over $100/ticket, groceries came first. Can buy a fair number of CDs for those prices too. I got to see one of Pavarotti's arena concerts in the mid 1990s, and though I'm glad to be able to say I've seen him ... I'm also glad that I was given the ticket.

Sounds like Alice put on the best rock show that Sasha's seen though - which says something.

t.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Have you seen the Yo Yo Ma videos inspired by the bach suites?

Mixed going but some of it is awe inspiring.

TomF
05-05-2006, 02:02 PM
No I haven't, though it sounds fascinating.

When I heard Ma's first kick at the Bach suites some, what, 20 years ago, I found myself wondering what he heard in his head. Most of us performers can't actually produce what we hear in our heads - there's a lag between the intention and the execution.

... but Ma's Bach was, at least in parts, utterly stunning. Either his technique enabled a full transfer of what he intended ... or what he hears in his own head is more luscious yet.

Sigh.

Memphis Mike
05-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey Chad. I've learned this one. The main riff is picked out of the E, C and D chord progression. You should try it. I'm gonna play and sing it in the campground I'm goin to next week.:D

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/alice_cooper/im_eighteen_crd.htm

cs
05-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I've not worked on that one. I had worked on Stolen Prayer. It uses power chords and they tend to make the carpal tunnel syndrome act up.

Chad