PDA

View Full Version : Minuteman leader

Rick Clark
04-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Minuteman leader wants border fence.
Well looks like the general public is going to build a Mexican border fence this summer to show GWB it can and will be done. Some 700+ miles of fence.

TomF
04-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Does nobody else hear any echoes in all this wall-building? Whether in Israel or along the US/Mexico border.

"Ich bin ein Berliner." or if you'd rather,

"Mr. Gorbachov, tear down this wall."

uncas
04-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Tom F.
I understand what you are saying but you are using a poor example. At least I think so. The Berlin Wall divided a city and a country. It also was a dividing line between a communist state and a democratic one. It was based on ideology.
East and West Germany was one country previous to WW2. Fairly recent. Both sides had a common ( majority ) language. German!

To me, a wall is nuts for different reasons.

John of Phoenix
04-24-2006, 10:14 AM
A privately built wall? No government funds?
Does Halliburton know about this?

George.
04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
But but but... Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Mexico were all one country previous to a war of conquest. And they all have a common (majority) language! :D

Phillip Allen
04-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Tom, if Fox built a fence to keep his people locked in poverty and killed those trying to defeat the fence, you could draw parallels. Is the fence around the White House to keep the sitting president locked in (whomever it happens to be at any given time)? Do the fences around the border check point on the United States northern border remind you of the Berlin Wall? If one locks his doors at night to keep thieves out, has he produced a fence to deprive others of what by rights should be theirs...some would argue so...

TomF
04-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Yes, a poor example in that respect Jamie. So's the Palestinian/Israeli border wall example ... despite Homeland Security's worries, any fence on the US/Mexico border wouldn't be built to keep suicide bombers out ... only illegal immigrants and drug smugglers.

Walls and fences are icons. Is this really a symbol that the US wants to give to the world?

This may be just an urban legend, but I remember hearing that the crime rate inside many gated communities is higher than that on the outside. The wall itself promotes criminality, by signalling that there's something inside that's worth stealing.

uncas
04-24-2006, 10:23 AM
George
Yup, if you want to go back 100 yrs., we had indians with a common language.
I think the only weay to look at this situation is through recent (60 yrs). events.
Heck, if we go back further, it is going to be a hodge podge.
England = French, Saxon, Danish, Swedish, Roman, Celt, etc. Any one who conquered parts of England and stayed brought in different languages.
Okay...say the Mexicans came into the southwestern states before 1845. Say, the 1530's! Umm, who did they conquer? I mean, was it free range with no one living there?
How far back do you want to go before going back makes no sense?

Brazil...umm..weren't there indigenous tribes? Are there still not a few left? Somewhere?

Tommy Bonds
04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I unfortunately have had to work with Mexicans - usually along the lines of the boss showing up one day with 2 or 3 in his truck and telling me this is the "new" framing gang. Then he leaves, the illegals get to work, and I spend the next week trying to straighten out all the hose ups that they have built into a house. I am not worried about illegals taking my job, just pissed off at of how they make the rest of us have to take up their slack because they can not speak our language and do not usually know squat about what it is they are doing unless its something akin to picking beans.

The next crew that shows up with my boss is going to have a little suprise waiting on em the following morning, and they will be getting a free trip back to old Mehico.

Phillip Allen
04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow...yer boss mayn't like that...

uncas
04-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Tommy
Ya have to learn Spanish. Buy the tapes! :)

It's up to you!

Phillip Allen
04-24-2006, 11:54 AM
yeah...if you kain't speak the local language it must be your fault... :)

Tommy Bonds
04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I won't be buying dick, and the boss can pound sand. I am fed up with these lame brain illegals driving down the wages of every honest working American in the country. My own dam son can't even get a summer job working with me, cause its so much cheaper to hire the wetbacks as labor.

uncas
04-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Toomy
Get used to it. Buy the tapes. It is your responsibility to learn Spanish not the other way around.
Have I got your goat yet... :)

I personally would not call them "wetbacks ". Illegals yes, but we were all immigrants at one time. I also try to avoid negative titles for the French, the Irish, the Italians etc..
Of course, that is up to you.

And yes, it is hard to find summer jobs if you are young. It is also hard to find kids that want to work for anything under $10.00/hour.

Gary E
04-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Did any of you see the show on tv by ABC last night? Ty Pennington and the gang re did a house in Texas and the crew was ALL Mexicans except the forman who spoke to them in Spanish... you think they were ALL legit?

Build a wall? thats funny... silly wall dont stop them where there is a wall now, why you think this one will?

Nothing will be done about either the House or the Senate Bill before they take off for the mid term elections... Then it will be back to normal...big biz controls this and not those elected by the people.

uncas
04-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey Gary
This entire debate about illegals has gotten the blood stirred up. Good for the heart. Means they won't retire soon. Doctor's orders, get the blood flowing. It is the preverbial plitical tread mill. No change. A lot of hyperventalating but not action.
I agree.
It's an election year.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I think you guys should build a ten foot high concrete wall along our border too. Then arm it with guards and machine guns.

henryblowery
04-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I disagree with a wall.....it won't work and it burns up our tax dollars.

I don't have any problem with Mexicans that want to come over here legally, learn our language , and live by our rules (i.e. come on time, if you cant show up let me know). But if they came here illegally I say box em' up and send em' back where they came from.

I know, I've heard the argument "but they do jobs we won't do" tell every able bodied man on well fare to get off their butt and get a job or starve and that problem will be solved.

"They deserve to have the same decent life that we do"

Ok, then they can come over here under the rules listed above (i.e. come here legally, learn our language, and live by our rules)

Just my 2c on the subject.

Gray

Gary E
04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I disagree with a wall.....it won't work and it burns up our tax dollars.

I don't have any problem with Mexicans that want to come over here legally, learn our language , and live by our rules (i.e. come on time, if you cant show up let me know). But if they came here illegally I say box em' up and send em' back where they came from.

I know, I've heard the argument "but they do jobs we won't do" tell every able bodied man on well fare to get off their butt and get a job or starve and that problem will be solved.

"They deserve to have the same decent life that we do"

Ok, then they can come over here under the rules listed above (i.e. come here legally, learn our language, and live by our rules)

Gray

Keep dreaming....

They dont need your stinkin rulz.... didnt before, wont in the future...

The US govmint has NO BALL's to send them home... ohh a few now and then to make the papers and let you think they are doing something....guvmit yappers is all yap no action...

uncas
04-24-2006, 12:54 PM
PMJ
Canada has some pretty tight rules covering immigrants.
You are writing from a position where Canda does not have a border with a third world country. If the US and Canada were geographically switched and Mexico bordered Canada, I have a feeling that you would be the first to scream.
I don't agree with a fence. as it makes no sense but I also don't think you, as a Canadian, have this immigration problem.
If nothing else, the US acts as a buffer to those wishing to get out of Mexico.
I don't know whether you know this: How many illegals come across the Canadian border every year?
How many speak English and how does Canada deal with the ones that don't.
It is always nice looking in but not having to take part.

Don Olney
04-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I think this wall might not be such a good idea in that it will encourage more Mexicans to flood across the border in hope of getting work putting the wall up.

geeman
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
I know,, that since the state of Tenn,,tightened its laws on requiring correct paperwork ,,I'm noticing a lotmore Illegals ,,walking instead of driving around town. It's much harder to get a drivers permit here now,(they say),""gringo's worry too much about paperwork" is also a comment I heard recently lol,,Translated of course,,

Gary E
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Any of you guys have a big white van??

Paint INS in big letters on the side and ten just for fun drive into a new housing construction site.... lol

geeman
04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
HAAAAAaaaaaa! I like That Idea lol ,,would work around town in this area too lol

geeman
04-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Off to work and havta stop by the car lot and see if I can pick up a Big White Van,,see ya'll later!!!!!!!!!

Gary E
04-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Might be best to rent one.... bulitz do make holes... lol

Meerkat
04-24-2006, 02:59 PM

Gray
There are no able bodied men on welfare. :eek:

Since the principal able bodied recpients of welfare are women with infant children, perhaps we could put them to picking in the fields? They can make $7/hr and pay $8/hr for daycare. Good economics, eh? ;)

Tommy Bonds
04-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Mexican women here can make over $100 a day picking strawberries in season. Its piece work so they actually have to work, but a lot of them send money home to family. My kid is working on a berry farm this summer and probably wont have the dexterity or speed of the Illegals, so he will be lucky to make 50 or 60 bucks a day. Meanwhile our native born big mammies are sitting on their posteriors, getting fatter, making more babies and collecting handouts from working stiffs like me and my kid. Any other questions?

Gary E
04-24-2006, 03:29 PM
What's the impact of illegal immigration?

Sunday, April 23, 2006

By J.B. Smith and Dan Genz

Tribune-Herald staff writers

At the end of an avenue of $300,000 mini-mansions off U.S. Highway 84 West, a new one is taking shape, crowned with gables and dormer windows.

Cross the planks over the black mud and step into the forest of two-by-fours, and you’ll find a group of men who officially don’t exist.

The men, sitting cross-legged on the concrete with glass Pepsi bottles and fast-food sacks, are here to frame the house. Like most of the workers on this house, they are Mexican by birth. Only one of the five framers, the subcontractor, is here legally.

The rest are among the estimated 11 million unauthorized immigrants in America, a population many would like to forget and some would like to deport.

But the men say they are here to work and here to stay.

“We’re not here in this country to take money,” said Luis, 30, an unauthorized immigrant from the Mexican state of Zacatecas who has lived here 10 years with his wife and family. “We’re here to work for money. We need the United States, and the United States needs us.”

As Congress wrestles over whether and how to crack down on the illegal population, it’s not just unauthorized immigrants who are worried.

Many employers and economists fear that a mass deportation or drastic reduction in immigration would slow the growth of the economy, drive up the cost of goods and services and lead to worker shortages in sectors such as construction.

“We are extremely dependent on immigrants in Texas and around the country,” said Ray Perryman, a Waco-based economist.

Perryman said some concerns about illegal immigration are legitimate, such as the vulnerability of the borders to terrorists and the medical and educational costs of the immigrant population. He said bringing unauthorized population into the open by offering them some kind of legal status would make the economy more efficient.

But he said those who simply want to deport all unauthorized immigrants might be surprised at the economic result.

“I don’t think they’d be very happy,” he said. “It would cause a lot of dislocation, in terms of trying to maintain industries such as agriculture, construction and hospitality.”

Curbing the use of immigrant labor would cause the Central Texas building boom to “fall flat on its back,” said K. Paul Holt, chapter executive of the Associated General Contractors of Waco.

Some 300 construction firms in the Waco area are scrambling to fill mounting orders for roads, bridges, schools, churches and homes, Holt said.

“There’s just not enough raw bodies in the construction trade,” Holt said. “I don’t think that Congress recognizes the full impact of a closed border system.”

Immigrants increasing

There are no reliable estimates for the unauthorized population in this area. The 2000 Census counted 9,659 foreign born, Spanish-speaking residents in McLennan County, but unauthorized immigrants often don’t fill out census forms.

The Pew Hispanic Center estimates 1.1 million Texans are unauthorized, or about one in 25.

Nationwide, unauthorized immigrants account for about half of all immigrants and nearly 5 percent of the labor force, according to Pew estimates.

Experts say those numbers are continuing to increase, though at a slower pace than the 1990s. Many who favor curbs on immigration say this growth threatens American jobs and wages.

Lou Ann Anderson, who is helping to organize a rally May 6 in Crawford for tougher immigration laws, said American-born construction workers are being undercut by foreign workers who will do the job for about half the price.

“They’re not the jobs that Americans won’t do, it’s doing the jobs at the prices that are being offered,” Anderson said.

Charles North, a Baylor University labor economist, agreed that immigration, whether legal and illegal, has an effect on wages. But that’s also a benefit to consumers and employers, he said.

“It most certainly keeps the lower end of the wage scale down to have an influx of low-skilled immigrants,” North said. “But it also keeps the prices of things we purchase down. The presence of low-skilled immigrants will lower the prices of yard services, restaurant food, construction and housekeeping. It would not surprise me if a meal at a restaurant would be a dollar or two more expensive if we did not have immigrants working.”

Phil Adkins, owner of six local Shipley Do-nuts shops and president of the Waco Restaurant Association, agreed that a drastic reduction in the immigrant workforce would affect the restaurant industry.

Gary E
04-24-2006, 03:31 PM
“California is going to be a Mexican state, we are going to control all the institutions. If people don’t like it they should leave.”

Mario Obledo—(1998 Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient and former head of Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund—MALDEF) [Tom Leykis Radio Show, June 7, 1998.]

Tommy Bonds
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM
The only Mexican I worry about taking my job is the one who can speak English, read a tape measure, use a square, read a blueprint . From what I have seen that aint gonna happen anytime soon.

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
There are plenty of states in the Union that build and maintain their infrastructure, and that have thriving constuction industries without armies of Mexicans.
The state of Texas may think illegals are essential, but like any addict, they would naturally take that position.
In states that have Amish populations, like Ohio, the young Amishmen make up a skilled and reliable workforce for new home construction and modernizations. This is a necessary outgrowth of their growing population which can't all go into farming.
Businesses that have become addicted to cheap compliant labor may soon change their tack if the feds start locking them up. It's amazing what epiphanies occur when one spends time in the slammer.
If the United States continues to accept all the excess population that Mexico produces if will be a different country in short order. Mexico's high birthrate and poor economy will insure that there will be an unending stream of boarder crossers for as far into the future as anyone would care to look.

uncas
04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Chuck
Recent census in Mexico indicates population is down.
2 reasons
Birth rate
Emmigration.

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Down from what to what?
Unless the decrease is dramatic enough to give all Mexicans a bigger share of the economic pie we will see hoards of Mexicans jumping our borders for a long time to come.
And there is always the possibilty that the Mexican economy will go south and keep the pool of unemployables where it is now even as their population declines.

BrianW
04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm in agreement with Chuck, I better go get a drink...

:)

Rick Clark
04-25-2006, 09:44 AM
About a year ago a Mexican woman made a statement that the whites took this land from them and now they are going to take it all back and then some.
This was on a national TV news report, they do believe that they can, as I have talked to many and it was told to me in the same way.
So no matter how many fences and walls are built, they have a plan and I think they will do it in time. The majority rules.....

uncas
04-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Chuck
I don't know the exact figures. I guess the census mentioned is compared to the previous one taken. If Mexico uses the same census time period we do, the current figures are rated against those taken in 1996.
Best I can doi to answer your question.

As you well know, the news that is fit to print is based on what people want to hear. Please note, C&P below says population is up but lower than expected.

Mexico
CENSUS SHOWS MEXICAN POPULATION SURPASSED 103 MILLION IN 2005.
Source: SourceMex Economic News & Analysis on Mexico: Feb 15, 2006 issue
Geographic Ref.: Mexico

Mexico's population reached 103.1 million in 2005, an increase of more than 6 million during the past five years, the government's statistics agency (Instituto Nacional de Estadisticas, Geografia e Informatica, INEGI) said in a preliminary report released in early February.

The figures, based on a census taken in October and November 2005, compare with 97.5 million residents counted in the 2000 census. The latest census was extended to Nov. 15 because of difficulties in some areas caused by Hurricanes Stan, Wilma, and Otis (see SourceMex, 2005-11-02 and 2005-11-09). The final version of the report is scheduled for release in late May.

INEGI said the latest numbers kept Mexico as the world's 11th most populous country, with China ranking first. In Latin America, Mexico is surpassed only by Brazil.

Population growth limited by emigration, lower birth rates

Even with the population increase, the total was about 2 million below projections, INEGI director Gilberto Calvillo Vives told reporters.

Some observers said the numbers came in lower than expected because the projections took into account data from the Consejo Nacional de Poblacion (CONAPO), which underestimated the number of Mexicans who emigrated to seek employment in the US and other countries.

"[CONAPO's statistics] were based on annual emigration estimates of about a half-million Mexicans," wrote Alicia Salgado in the Mexico City daily business newspaper El Financiero. "The results from the census showed those estimates to be erroneous and the number of residents who have left Mexico [in the past five years] to have surpassed 600,000 annually."

Some of the census categories seem to support the high-immigration theory, with more men than women traditionally leaving the country to find jobs in the US. The INEGI figures showed that the total population comprised 53 million women and 50.1 million men, although recent data indicates an increasing number of women are emigrating to the US (see SourceMex, 2004-03-03).

Additionally, the census showed zero growth in Zacatecas and Michoacan, two states which account for a high number of emigrants.

Calvillo acknowledged that emigration levels have been higher than projected but he also said that birth rates have declined in Mexico, contributing to a reduction in the population growth.

The INEGI director also emphasized that the census is intended to count anyone who resides in Mexico. "The count includes Mexicans and foreigners who live in our country and does not count any Mexicans who have emigrated," said Calvillo.

geeman
04-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Yep,,its time to be PC alright,just sit back and let em have it back

uncas
04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Okay
I know I am going to be taken to the cleaners but I'm gonna ask anyway. And yes, this is in reference to immigrants from the south.

Do those coming into this country really want to be Americans or do they just consider us the goose with the golden eggs.? Where do their loyalties lie America or Mexico? Are they here just for the money and still consider Mexico home and therefore that is where their real loyalty is?
In the past, those immigrating legally or illegally tried to assimilate into the Am. population. I don't see a lot of effort from a majority from the south. Yes, of course some do but not 600,000 a year.

I mention this as I found it interesting that during those few days of marches, the first day, there were really only Mexican flags flying. Someone must have said something becuase the last two days, all you saw were American flags.

okay folks, I'm going to duck now.

Phillip Allen
04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
I strongly suspect that is was a Freudian slip

uncas
04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
I guess what concerns me or makes me wonder is, if they want to be Americans, they don't wave the Mexican flag at a rally to support their position and desire to be American citizens. Something just is wrong with that picture.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

geeman
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Your not wrong Uncas,,during the "rallies",,the loosely organized ""leaders,figured out that it wouldnt play well with the American people if the Mexicans waved Mexican flags.That was the point when they changed over to American flags,,so go the news reports.A good number are not interested in ""being American but they are interested in getting their ""fair" share of American money.I'm sure a number of them want the whole American way of life,,but I dont think the large number actually feel that way,,except to play it that way for the cameras etc.

Phillip Allen
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Okay...I will accept that. Now, having put that to rest, can we move away from that one point and give consideration to some others?

geeman
04-26-2006, 10:57 AM
And this country allowed over 11 million in in a very short length of time?

Memphis Mike
04-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Jamie, from what I've seen here in Tennessee, they live about 15 to 20 to a household. They go out and work during the day, a lot on work crews where they are picked up at a certain location and taken to a job site and payed at the end of the day in cash.

They live on rental property and the only money they spend goes toward beer and cigarettes for the most part. They eat as cheaply as possible and do not have bank accounts. Very few of them can speak English.

They cash their checks at liquer stores and anywhere else that will cash them and send their money back to Mexico in the form of money orders. They don't want a paper trail.

To me, this indicates no desire to assimulate into our culture.

uncas
04-26-2006, 11:02 AM
True for the most part Norman
Actually my grandmother's cousin escaped to the US hiding under a pile of manure to escape the Russian revolution. Money was not a concern, living was.
It takes all kinds.
Irish came because of the famine
Puritans came because of religion
Hugeonauts came because of religion
Many came because they were indentured servants.
After the revolutions of 1848, the reasons were mixed.
Chinese came to build the railroads
Afro Americans came to plow the fields.
There are lots of reasons.

geeman
04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Thats what I see here too MM.Our City of gatlinburg Tenn has/had only 3,000 full time residents.Was a small tourist town,until recently,,now the Gat police dept spends a large amount of time on calls at night to the motels these people live in,,breaking up fights,,arresting for harrassment,etc.This area isnt used to this type of lifestyle,at this magnatude.Overreacting?? I dont think so.This area is used to arresting the tourist that spent a little too much time in a local nightspot,,

uncas
04-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Ps Norman
That cousin acquired two PhDs, was head of the Russian Department at Vassar for forty odd years, and worked with her cousin, Alexandra Tolstoy, on Tolstoy's writings until she was well into her 90s.
She came with nothing and grabbed the American dream but she worked for it.

JimD
04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I think you guys should build a ten foot high concrete wall along our border too. Then arm it with guards and machine guns.

That would be a good start but determined Americans would still find a way to get in.

Memphis Mike
04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Thats what I see here too MM.Our City of gatlinburg Tenn has/had only 3,000 full time residents.Was a small tourist town,until recently,,now the Gat police dept spends a large amount of time on calls at night to the motels these people live in,,breaking up fights,,arresting for harrassment,etc.This area isnt used to this type of lifestyle,at this magnatude.Overreacting?? I dont think so.This area is used to arresting the tourist that spent a little too much time in a local nightspot,,

I've been to Gatlinburg a couple of times. You don't mean to tell me they're living in the Hotels on Main Street are they????!

John of Phoenix
04-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Who hires the guys you're so upset about? Go have a talk with him.

TomF
04-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Who hires the guys you're so upset about? Go have a talk with him.Ayup. This is a market, folks. Illegal immigrant workers couldn't sell their product (cheap labour) if someone wasn't just itching to buy it (employers).

You want to regulate the market? Fine. Regulation on the supply side (building a fence, hiring border guards etc.) will likely be much more expensive, and somewhat less effective than regulation on the demand side. Reduce demand by cracking down on the employers who hire undocumented workers, and Adam Smith's invisible hand will divert a large proportion of your illegal immigrant problem elsewhere. No fences or additional border guards required.

Of course, there will be market fallouts ... higher consumer prices. Labour shortages, resulting in work slowdowns and reduced economic growth. Those would be unintended consequences of regulating the market ...

John of Phoenix
04-26-2006, 01:49 PM
There was a nationwide raid last week that netted something like 1200 workers and seven managers of some Dutch outfit. Interesting that the Feds didn't bust a US company, isn't it.

"The managers face up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for each illegal immigrant worker. "

FOR EACH ONE! Find a news clipping about that story and mail it to the people that have you so riled up. If that doesn't get their attention, call the INS.

You don't need fences, or "immigration reform", or Minutemen patrolling the border, you just need to have existing laws enforced.

JimD
04-26-2006, 01:53 PM

Of course, there will be market fallouts ... higher consumer prices. Labour shortages, resulting in work slowdowns and reduced economic growth. Those would be unintended consequences of regulating the market ...

On the plus side home owners might get their houses built properly.:D

Phillip Allen
04-26-2006, 02:44 PM
On the plus side home owners might get their houses built properly.:D

No...they won't. It has nothing to with illegals.

botebum
04-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Big Friggen Fence?! Ha! Ha! Ha! How ya gonna build that? Got some whitebread Americans gonna show up an bust some tail for no money building a silly ass fence that ain't gonna work and keep it under budget? What the **** are you smoking, Acapulco Gold? Oh, wait, I know. Get the Illegals to build your big, silly fence. Tell them that this side looks really good, but how about the other side. When they go to look at the other side, lock the gate behind them. Ha! Ha! Ha! Yeah, Real nifty. Stuff your fence and and make hiring illegals a crime. Create a database of legal immigrants on the internet that is freely accessable. If he ain't on it he don't get hired. Duh!

FENCE?!- HA! HA! HA!

Doug

BrianW
04-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Yes, going after companies that hire illegal aliens should be priority #1. But the border security needs to be tightened anyhow. Not everyone who crosses the border is looking for a job, just a better way of life. Or, even worse, to commit a terrorist act.

RonW
04-26-2006, 03:11 PM
When they start the fence, I will send a sizeable donation.
And I can think of no better cause to donate to.

-----I wonder if it will be tax deductible??

botebum
04-26-2006, 03:12 PM
The only terrorists seem to be crossing from Canada. Think orange snow fencing from Home Depot will keep'em out?
FENCES- HA! HA! HA!

Doug

edited to include punctuation

geeman
04-26-2006, 03:22 PM
No Mike,,their Not living in the mainstreet hotels or motels,,Gatlinburg has a lot of very old mom n pop motels that try to hang on in this new age of franchise,the tourists dont know those old motels are there because they call and make reservations at the newers hotels n motels,so the old ones get stuck with local and out of state riff raff,,and the illegals.These older couples that have hung in there all these years to see thier motel torn apart piece by piece.It's a shame,,but that's ""progress".

geeman
04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree,,going after the companies that hire SHOULD be priority #1.Then do the best job possible on the border itself,going after the reason they come here by the millions IS step 1

RonW
04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Progress, it also can be called regression and vandalism, as well as felony.

geeman
04-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Gatlinburg is a very small town,,with a small police Dept.during tourist season it can swell to 70 ,80,000 people in a small area.The police are already over worked and underpaid here,,but they do the best they can.To upgrade the Police Dept for new ""permanent" arrivals will cost big bucks,,,,,,whos?