PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin Lamp Info

Norm Harris
04-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I was just given a mantle lamp made by Aladdin. It has a model #23 burner.

I am looking for information on mainenance and operation. This lamp does not seem to have pressurizing pump, so I'm a little at a loss at how to light it.

George Ray
04-16-2006, 01:59 PM
They are like a coleman lamp but the mantle is heated white incandesent hot by the circular kerosene buring wick below it. The wick "MUST" be trimmed even/level or you get soot patches and in the extreme the lamp can FILL FILL FILL FILL FILL your boat/house/tent/cabin with black oily soot. You can doze off and wake up in a BLACK FOG, no exageration.

They are still in wide use in locations that have 'off the grid' cabins, etc. they are not as common on boats because the mantle hangs loosly over the wick and the mantle will swing and break if the lamp is roughly handled. The mantles are fairly robust until they are mounted and the ?coating? is burned off.

They put out a LOT of heat and you must be careful where you hang them for that reason. When properly trimmed up/adjusted they are about the same as a 100+ watt light bulb.

There is a little plastic tool that is used to trim the wick (remove center air grate, insert trimmer and twist the trimmer on top of a slightly raised and carboned wick) and it is very difficult and dirty work to try and do without it.

Google: Aladdin Lamp

http://www.aladdinlamps.com/store/dynamicIndex.asp

Company Web site and on source for parts

For a great overview/instruction manual:

http://www.kountrylife.com/content/how66.htm

Alladin Lamp 101My first Alladin Lamp was purchased at a second hand store, and I had no idea how to use it (and it didn't come with instructions). The following instructions on how to operate an Alladin Kerosene Lamp may be helpful to someone in the same situation;
Instructions for Lighting and Operating an Alladin Lamp 1. Fill bowl with a good grade of fresh, clean, clear, refined K-1 Kerosene. NEVER USE GASOLINE OR OTHER DANGEROUS FUELS IN YOUR Alladin LAMP. The use of scented lamp oils is not recommended since additives in these oils can clog the wick and interfere with the correct operation of your lamp. 2. ALLOW THE WICK IN THE BURNER TO SOAK IN THE KEROSENE AT LEAST ONE ....................

ishmael
04-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I tuned one up about a couple years back.

One really important thing is to let things warm slowly. If you go to "full on" with a cold burner it will soon be burning too rich and will both smoke the globe and burn the wick and the mantle. Burn it at quarter to a half throttle for ten minutes before you adjust to the desired brightness. Also, equally important, the globe has a twist fitting molded into the glass where it meets the burner. You want that just sorta tight--just past loose. Otherwise, the expansion from the heat will crack the glass. And never put a freshly washed globe to the heat for the same reason. Let it dry, completely. Crumpled, newspaper rubbed around the inside does a decent job, if not sparkling, and eliminates the problem. But if you burn it right you won't smoke the globe.

Other than that, they're great. The # 23 is easy to get parts for, and if you treat it right the wick and mantle will last for many hours.

Thorne
04-16-2006, 10:55 PM
My roomates and I used them in college, but depending on the source of the glass, we had issues with the glass chimneys cracking if heated too rapidly -- and they are a great source of heat!

Realistically speaking, don't think I'd ever use one aboard ship == just too many issues with heat, soot, wick trim, broken glass, etc. But sounds like others have had better luck.

ishmael
04-17-2006, 06:52 AM
The old Aladdin globes are worth protecting, mostly by mounting them to the burner correctly. Again, you want them just turned to hold them, not TIGHT, tight. The new globes are made in Eastern Europe, and aren't the same, so I've heard.

If you over crank the globe into the burner it will break when heated. No room to move and the glass gives.

And no, the mechanism is too fussy for most shipboard use, seems to me. Unless you've got a mega-yacht. Flat wicked lamps for that.

Ian McColgin
04-17-2006, 07:02 AM
All good advice above. Once the mantle has been burned in place, it's incredibly fragile.

I had Alladins on Goblin and Granuaile and will likely get one for Marmalade in the fall. They put off an incredible amount of heat so you must watch the overhead. As with any open flame, it must be secure from tipping or being knocked off unless you have lots of marshmellows handy.

Even though I made a good gimblal system for my lamps, I'd not sail with an Alladin running, partly to save my night vision and mostly for safety. Regular little kerosene lights, gimballed of course, could be nice under weigh.

From a cost-benefit point of view, batteries with wind and solar are more cost-effective for lighting in you look on an over 5 year horizon and if you plan of reading for an average of 6 hours after dark.

None-the-less, it's good to have kero at hand and if you live aboard in the winter the added heat from the Aladin can make that a rational investment.

George Ray
04-17-2006, 07:28 AM
I have used aladdin lamps and I like them and I also have a few tubular wick lamps that provide rather good light output for a wick lamp, but overall for ease of use, reliability, and not scorching/sooting up the overhead, my favorite is the Deitz lantern (think of railroad lanterns). They are nearly windproof and the heat is well disapated by the metal top and so they pose a relativly low fire/scorch hazard. At the backwoods cabin I like a big lamp with a large tank for long burn time and great stability. On the boat I prefer not to have steel lantern's (snobbery in part) and Deitz makes a solid brass version of it's small traditional railroad lantern. I have been getting them from the Lehman's company. They specialize in items for Amish farm families and folks that are living 'off the grid'. By the way these folks carry the full line of Aladdin lamps and parts as well as many other oil lamps. How about a 400+ watt multi-fuel pressure lamp with an attachment that fits on the top to make a cooker?

http://www.lehmans.com/images/us/local/products/detail/3776B.f.jpg

Lehman's
One Lehman Circle
Kidron, OH, 44636, U.S.A

http://www.lehmans.com/

(US and Canada) 1-888-438-5346
Fax: 1-888-780-4975
Phone: (International) 330-857-5757
Fax: 330-857-5785

BriteLyt lanterns run on a variety of fuels.. kerosene, alcohol-based fuels, mineral spirits, citronella oil, gasoline, Biodiesel, diesel oil, & almost every flammable fuel available on the market.

http://www.petromax.com/lanterns.htm

http://www.petromax.com/images/2ndbritelyt_001.jpg

ishmael
04-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I've got an old, aluminum, what I call a railroad lamp. Like the Dietz, but maybe seventy years old. Picked it up in a shop. It's called an "Airlite" I assume because it's aluminum, not steel. It still runs just fine. Trimming the wick is a vital part of making them happy. I've used it on a stump as my front light, for times visitors were wandering down my path.

I don't like the pressurized lamps much. Gave my Coleman away. Too damn bright, the Coleman with those two mantles. And all of them are noisy. Who wants to sit by the light of kerosene with a roar? They have their place, just not in my camp.

Norm Harris
04-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks,

I found a good site for information on the care, feeding and operation of the lamp. I will have to replace the mantle, but other than that it fired up easily and burned clean.

I don't think that I would have sprung for the cost of a new one, but since It came to me free from the who bought my last boat and it is a really good looking lamp, I guess I'll keep it.

Also, the heat that the Aladdin gives off will be a real benefit since we live aboard in San Francisco Bay.