PDA

View Full Version : Knackered

formerlyknownasprince
05-29-2002, 12:34 AM
Strewth - just unloaded 600 board feet of Queensland Kauri - about 1.3 cubic metres to go alongside my 1.5 cubic metre pile of Queensland Maple, not forgetting the .3m pile of teak and stacks of ply. Couldn't get close to where it had to be stacked either. I'm stuffed.

Now all we need to do is wave the magic wand and convert the piles into a new transom, cabin sides, deck beams, decks and interior. At least the first 20' of deck / beams and 8'of cabin sides is done. Just 30' to go.

Ian

skuthorp
05-29-2002, 04:28 AM
I am minded of the Goons 'Willum' and his immortal excuse "You cant get the wood you know". You cant use that one now!

ken mcclure
05-29-2002, 07:56 AM
Heh. In another thread, someone mentioned how much quicker these projects go if there's an "idiot boy" around the yard to handle the menial tasks.

SWMBO calls me an idiot all the time ... I figure that if you want to ship me down there I could play "idiot boy" for you.... :rolleyes:

Rich VanValkenburg
05-29-2002, 08:01 AM
Heck, I'll go right after I help Ed out. He's been hinting around that I make a trip out his way, too. Send the ticket. I'm sort of a Gatenby anyway. (Mom's roots) smile.gif

Rich

formerlyknownasprince
05-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Now that's just what I need - a few idiot boys who will work for the price of their ticket. I'm facing multiples of the ticket cost when we do the transom replacement. The cash outlay for hard stand and labour (2 paid, 2 unpaid) is looking like about $5,000 - $6,000.

Will also be doing lots of other things - rudder stocks / cutlass (sp?) bearings, bearings at the gearbox end of the shafts / all through hulls - including the 2 1/2 inch sink drain that I broke when I dropped a 2 foot long piece of 2 x 1 on it - amazing how de-zincified it was - the shaft is as thick as your little finger and it just snapped off / antifouling / skeg beam & bolts replacement. If we have time or money left, I'll even work on the new fuel tank installation.

Arrghh.... at least I'm doing some paid (and some unpaid) "real" work today.

Ian

Wendy Reymond
05-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Igatenby,
We are looking for suitable timber for gaff and boom jaws (post entitled 'S. Hemisphere: wood for gaff jaws...'). Just curious to know whether your source of timber is in Sydney or interstate. We are looking for blackbutt, brigalow or possibly spotted gum.
We sourced our douglas fir for the mast from an importer in QLD, north of Brisbane.

Good luck with your project.
Wendy

Wendy Reymond
05-29-2002, 07:19 PM
...and Willum built a copy of the 'Marie Rose' the same afternoon Seagoon placed the order.

formerlyknownasprince
05-30-2002, 04:00 AM
Wendy

My source (strewth - sounds like a drug dealer when you say it like that) is the brother of my wife's best friend from the late 70's, when she was first posted to the bush as a teacher. We got lucky when we ran into her at a reunion about a year ago - just after we bought the teak. She reminded us that her bother was in the timber business after we told her of the Grantala project and it all went from there.

The only drawback has been that we have had to buy from him in large quantities. Given the nature of the task we face with Grantala - I don't think this will be a problem. I'll ask him if he can sell in smaller quantities, but I think he is only set up to wholesale.

I got a load of clear Oregon via a mate who runs a building type timber yard - we used this to do laminated beams for the foredeck. These replaced sawn Kauri beams which had been fixed with iron spikes at the ends 64 years ago and which are now totally oxidised. The amount of wastage to saw 12' cambered beams would have been horrendous. The new beams look brilliant - epoxied with 4 laminations. Do I paint them white, like the original, or do I leave them natural (my preference)? He provided the new Sampson post - which is made from some unknown variety of hardwood that was the right size and had been lying around his timber yard for a few years - now fully epoxied and installed. He also had a left over 3.5" thick slab of bluegum which we used as a breasthook - again fully epoxied.

Another breasthook came from a trunk junction in a blackbutt that my cousin had lying around on his rural property. The grain in this is so interlocked it is truly amazing. He also had an old grey gum root system that provided a couple of 2'+ grown knees. He is an arborist and often takes large tree trunks to this property to make a bi-annual bonfire (combined with a major fireworks show) The bonfire is normally about 30' x 15' high and comprised of tree trunks 3'+ in diameter.... and a good time is had by all.

The new instrument panel base is made, but not yet installed, of 12" x 1" Australian red cedar that my father got from the timber firm he worked for in the early 70's.

Some of the timbers I've used would not normally be regarded as boatbuilding timbers, however, they are above the waterline and are fully epoxied and carfully selected for grain orientation. Hell, I've even used a remarkable new species of timber - hot-dipped galvanised steel - to replace a knackered hardwood/softwood floor bearer set-up under the saloon floor. This was the only way I could lower the floor and get the 6'6" headroom I needed at the interior helm station. It isn't original, but it will be fully enclosed, top and bottom.... but that's another story.

I've got the same problem as you with regard to smaller amounts of timber, such as spotted gum. I need some dried spotted gum to do the transom posts and battens - 2" x 3" x 11 lineal metres and 2" x 1" x 30 lineal metres. I'll probably get this from Trend Timbers.

Good luck

Ian