PDA

View Full Version : Hot tip for everyone....

Bob Cleek
05-16-2003, 08:20 PM
This is NOT intended to be an advertisement, but I suppose, indirectly, it could be seen as such. Still, it was too good not to pass along. I got an advertising flyer from one of the big-box marine supply warehouses in the mail today. (Their name begings with "West" and ends with "Marine.") Along with the usual spread of useless overpriced crap that has little or nothing to do with boatbuilding and maintenance and everything to do with the profit margin, unless you really need a self coiling hose, floating binoculars, or really buy new flares every year, was a VERY interesting little squip tucked down underneath the designer foul weather gear.

The ad says "50% off all bulk fasteners!" and in fine print, "Limited to stock on hand. See store for details."

Now, this tells me they are blowing all their bulk fasteners out the door! No doubt they have found it a lot more profitable to sell them by the half dozen in blister packs. Their loss may be your gain. If I had some spare change laying around and a big project on line, or just wanted to fill up the bins in the shop, I'd get down to the local WasteMarine first thing on Memorial Day and see if I could score a few boxes of whatever I needed. No doubt you won't find a decent selection, but at half price (even half their prices!), you just might score a few hundred Everdur bronze screws in the right sizes. Since this outfit seems to spring up like algae, anyplace there's water, everybody gets a chance! LOL

JMAC
05-16-2003, 09:14 PM
But does 50% off work out to be better than Jamestown I wonder? Sour grapes....no West 'round here.

Wild Wassa
05-16-2003, 09:20 PM
When you can no longer hand select from the little bins, those particular screws, washers, nuts and bolts to mix and match the exhisting or those bits in need of replacing, but can now only buy fasteners in boxes which you don't need, even the smallest jobs become very expensive.

This happened to the best marine supplier in Canberra, Belconnen Metals, when they were bought out by a company called 'Australian Fasteners'.

A fine tip Bob.

cbob
05-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Fastener deals at the Big Blue Store, the market place for solutions to problems that weren't problems before the solutions. James town and Hamilton have screws with slots, that can probably be removed 40 years later with the proper tools and teccnique . These bargain jobs will take some treasure hunting, there are about six stores in my area, and when you find the right size, hopefully, they will have some Phillips type slots(?) in the head, the main advantage of which, beside easy driving, is that when you have to remove them, the drill for the easyout is easily centrered. Such a deal!

Dave Fleming
05-17-2003, 12:03 AM
How about $1.99 for a 5/16ths x 3 1/2 inch SS machine screw?
Not a box in sight at the San Diego "worst marine" of any fastener!

When just around the corner from me ( see david, pay attention to local businesses!), the same item is .69 cents. And they have Silly Bronze screws in slotted and Reed and Prince. Not all sizes but when it is 1:30 PM on a Saturday and you need just 5 screws it is a hell of a lot closer than Jamestown or StaFast.

Scott Rosen
05-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Bob, at the WasteMarine/BoatUrAss around here, there's not a piece of bronze in sight. Once upon a time, on a Sunday, I needed a dozen small bronze wood screws, #4X1/2". Counldn't even find anything close at Waste. They do sell some cheapo brass decorative fasteners. Ugh.

It took me a few years, but I finally figured out that I really only use about 5 or 6 different size fasteners for 95% of my needs. I bought them in boxes of 100 from Jamestown at good prices, and now I have them when I need them.