PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying my boat....

lumberdude
08-05-2001, 01:53 PM
I recently traveled to north central Iowa and picked up my first wooden boat. It's a 14' cedar strip fishing/row boat. I discoverd the manufacturer of the trailer, Schroeder Boat Works, Lakeview, and had the wonderful oportunity to visit with Mr. Schroeder about his boat building days. Unfortunetely, he didn't build the boat, just the trailer. He suggested that my boat could be possibly a Penn-yan or a Thompson, and put the year built somewhere in the late 40's or early 50's. It has an oak keel, 3 seats, and a very beautiful deck across the front.
I've looked through hundreds of pictures on the net of boats, but so far haven't come across anything just like it. I'm going to need loads of advice on the refinishing and I'm glad I found this forum!!
If anyone would like to help me figure out who built it, and the aproximate time period it was built, please feel free to email me at: lumberdudeth@yahoo.com. I could use all the help or advice I can get.

dasboat
08-05-2001, 04:56 PM
Lumberdude,take some pictures and post them on this forum.I'm sure you will get some help.
In the meantime,welcome aboard.
Dasboat
ps If your not sure about posting pictures, help is nearby also.
Das

Todd Bradshaw
08-05-2001, 05:30 PM
If you can't find info here, go to the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association board:
http://www.wcha.org/forums/
and give a shout for Dan Miller.
He has archived catalogs from most of the old builders who also built canoes, like Penn-Yan & Thompson.

lumberdude
08-05-2001, 06:50 PM
My wife figured out a different way to post these pictures. Click on this link to see the photos. http://www.geocities.com/lumberdudeth/

Let me know if there are problems.

Dave Fleming
08-05-2001, 07:03 PM
My nickles' worth...it's a Thompson.

Tim B
08-05-2001, 11:15 PM
Kory,

Get a copy of Bob Spegiel (spell?) book "The Real Runabouts". I was looking through my local library's copy this spring. The floor boards in your boat look unique and I can remember a boat builder talked about in the book that used floorboards as such. Don't remember the name though.

By the way, it is a lovely looking boat.

tim