PDA

View Full Version : the role of sports commentators

uncas
02-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Am I the only one who feels that there should be fewer discussions regarding the pre-event,event, and post analysis...Olympics or otherwise....by idiot commentators.
I watched the last football game on mute...and seriously do not think I missed a thing....

[ 02-20-2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-20-2006, 10:45 AM
In the words of the song:
Let me entertain you....

Thus
Her time about 4.13, which she's capable of. [DAVID COLEMAN]

She never knows when she's beaten except when she actually is. [STEPHEN HADLEY]

There is Brendan Foster, by himself, with twenty thousand people... [DAVID COLEMAN]

He is even smaller in real life than he is on the track. [DAVID COLEMAN]

...a very powerful set of lungs, very much hidden by that chest of his. [ALAN PASCOE]

Virren, the champion, came in fifth place and ran a champions race. [ANON]

This boy swims like a greyhound... [ANTHONY STILL]

...he just can't believe what's not happening to him. [DAVID COLEMAN]

Tahamata went through the air like a torpedo. [PETER JONES]

Both these players seem to anticipate the play of the other almost before it's happened. [TONY GUBBA]

Here we are in the Holy Land of Israel - a Mecca for tourists. [DAVID VINE]

uncas
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
And the one I really love...after losing a boxing match....
Cosell asked Ali..." How does it feel to lose?"

Gee I wonder...must have felt great....

[ 02-20-2006, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
"..and one boat's in front, and it's either Oxford or Cambridge..." (attrib: D. Coleman)

Gary E
02-20-2006, 11:11 AM
You should of heard the comentators on the Daytona 500 yesterday... idiots that never raced so much as a go cart... Fire them... The mute button works real good.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Picture the scene, it is a late summer afternoon and the third day of a (Trent Bridge?) test match.

The experimental animal (a Cricket Lover) is placed in a room with a Television, a radio, an electric kettle and an unlimited supply of tea.

What Happens and Why? (3 marks)

One of the three electrical sockets is now disabled so that the subject can use only two appliances.

Which two will he choose? - discuss (18 marks).

vince gordon
02-20-2006, 11:32 AM
amazing...i was having this very converstation with my girlfriend the other day. I told her it was like having a commentator give a play by play of me doing this drywall job im working on...."and now it looks like the mud is going on pretty smooth..." "...Vince how do you feel about the sanding? Did it go well this last round?" etc....

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-20-2006, 12:27 PM
The Cricket Lover turns on the television and turns the volume down to "nil" (if he is deeply un-English and has a mute button, he presses it.

He boils the kettle and makes tea.

He listens to Test Match Special on the radio.

if reduced to two appliances, he retains the radio and the kettle.

A supply of cake (Victoria sponge, seedcake, fruitcake..) is predicated

uncas
02-20-2006, 12:43 PM
To me...all commentators are a joke...Yes, I know that some...in their day were great players...but to look at them in the studio with bellies bigger than mine, attempting to out-think...outplay, second guess the next play, and criticizing players for not doing things right...is comical if nothing else....
I would love NBC,CBS,ABC etc....get rid of them as extra flotsom....

Figment
02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
They're all
just

so

terrified

of

dead

air.

I'd like to duct tape John Madden to a chair, blindfolded and gagged, and force him to listen to a playback of his own gibberish (um, "commentary") for a few hours.
As a little bonus, mild electric shock every time he repeats something he just said 15 seconds ago.

uncas
02-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Another worthy use for duct tape.....I wonder whether the supply could keep up with the demand....

Actually, I'd pay money to see that on TV.... :D

[ 02-20-2006, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Paul Pless
02-20-2006, 02:07 PM
There are a few really good sportscasters
IMHO:

David Hobbs and Bob Varsha make a really good motorsports commentary team. Even their snide comments on the choice of video editting from the world feed during F1 races is entertaining. Their coverage of Le Mans and the Rolex 24 is unparalled and its a crying shame that they don't get to cover the Indianapolis 500.

Jim Lampley is a consumate professional usually seen on HBO calling boxing matches. The man pulls no punches in criticism of boxers, training staff, other commentators or even HBO.

Argueable of course, but the best NFL television analyst in my mind is Phil Sims.

Joe Buck and Bob Costas are by far the best national broadcasters of MLB. Of course we don't get to hear Bob Costas call games anymore.

Last but not least, not really sportscasters but rather sports anchors, the original ESPN tag team duo of Dan Patrick and Kieth Oberman are unbeatable.

[ 02-20-2006, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

patito
02-20-2006, 02:45 PM
I can't stand Joe Buck or Bob Costas.

That said, I agree with you, Uncas. I often find myself muting the play call on sports so that I can watch the event and make my own conclusions.

Play by play people are the artists when they perform on radio solely. Sadly, the folks who do pbp on television these days don't hold a candle to those in radio.