PDA

View Full Version : Chess

Paul Pless
03-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, who here plays chess.

My father taught myself and all my brothers and sisters to play. I began to play seriously when I was about seven. I was a member of the chess club in high school. Had some really good players for roommates while in college. I've no one to play now, and I miss the game dearly.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Not the record label then...

Donn
03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm told it can be played online. I've been playing by snail mail for 40+ years.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
ex - chess club member; not enough time now. Play socially, esp with my son.

Memphis Mike
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I play but it's been awhile.

I have a perfect little set for camping. ;)

Meerkat
03-08-2006, 07:14 PM
My uncle, who was Western Regional Grand Master while at UCLA, "taught" me to play chess. That is to say that he skunked me for about 30 games before I caught on enough to last for up to a dozen moves before he checkmated me. I think he took great pleasure in trying every obscure opening known to man and which would never fly in real tournament play. :D

Alas, I have not played in years. However, for the Palm PDA, there is an excellent chess program that can give one a good run and make one feel accomplished if one beats it.

Paul Pless
03-08-2006, 07:19 PM
My father never gave me a game, I think I beat him only four times. Until I beat him the first time he openned king's pawn every time. I didn't beat him until I was 15 - eight years. After I beat him he switched to queen's pawn. I was largely unbeatable by my peers until I made it to college.

[ 03-08-2006, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

George Roberts
03-08-2006, 07:44 PM
If I paid attention, I played a reasonable game. Not good enough to beat those who studied or played regular. Tough to beat a good database.

Never thought that capturing the king was a great accomplishment.

Read a couple years ago that one of the end games thought to be a draw was actually a win.

BrianW
03-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I was fairly good in high school, also in the 'geek' club from time to time. ;)

High C
03-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I play. Yahoo games is a good place to play others online, but be careful. There's sharks in them waters!

Another One
03-09-2006, 11:53 AM
When I was a teen, we'd weekend at this old farm in the Berkshires with Dad. No tv for entertainment but lots of public radio and lots of board games. I played enough chess to give Dad a run for his money once or twice, but was never a serious threat.

I taught my kids to play, and my son is at least as good as me. My daughter beat me for the first time last week, but I really, really made some stupid mistakes in that game. I want a rematch with more caffine! tongue.gif

Art Read
03-10-2006, 03:25 AM
I LOVE that "Fool's Mate" move... But it took SWMBO a long time to forgive me enough to try another game... ;)