PDA

View Full Version : Radio

ishmael
03-05-2006, 06:26 PM
I listen to radio a lot. I listen to NPR, as usually the most interesting, but I also listen late in sleepless nights to Art Bell and his ilk.

I've come to despise commercial radio, the hype, but occasionally Bell is worth sifting through the BS.

I'm also amazed at how ungrammatical much of the local broadcast is. It can be horrible. Not that I'm an expert at grammar, but I could write better copy. Young people who just never learned. It jars the ear.

Bell is usually pretty good. He's got the radio voice down, and is pretty smart with his guests. But gawd, the commercials! I don't like the commercials.

pcford
03-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Talking about listening to Art Bell?

And this guy called _me_ a wanker over on the Bush/Katrina thread.

Different strokes, I s'pose.

Meerkat
03-05-2006, 07:03 PM
People who listen to Art Bell are a little ding-a-ling. :D

Hwyl
03-05-2006, 07:11 PM
What meerkat should have posted.

Bell jars the ear

You're slipping David

ishmael
03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Nah, Art's definately a showman, and his broadcast has way too much advertisement. It's hard to sort through. But he's smart, and, occasionally, has very good guests.

Last night, drifting in and out, there was a Brit MD, who has made a study of near death experience. Nothing new, but it was good to hear someone of place and presence speak about it.

And I only called people a wanker on the vroom vroom, too much power for the brains thread. ;)

[ 03-05-2006, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Meerkat
03-05-2006, 07:19 PM
He's clever, not smart. He plays to the prejudices of his audience.

skuthorp
03-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I listen to radio all the time, but NEVER commercial crap with their shock l]jerks and playlists and inane ameturish advertising of junk tha no one needs. We have a good choice here, a national govt funded but not controlled network of am and fm stations covering local, national, news, parliament, popular and innovative music and serious music and jazz. Several community subscription financed stations covering most specrums. A more or less left political community station but interestingly no righ- wing countrepoint. I guess the commercilal stations cover this. I watch almost no TV, just a doco or two a week.

ishmael
03-05-2006, 07:31 PM
"He plays to the prejudices of his audience."

Of course, that's how he makes money. At his worst he reminds me of a snake-oil peddlar. But he also has very interesting people on occasion.

The guy who took over the show when Art got sick, George Noory, is a noodle. Seems a kind guy, but he has nowhere the intelligence of Art.

I don't listen to it much anymore. Used to, but now I think silence is a better salve to insomnia. Usually.

Dave Fleming
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Last good radio was Jean Sheppard and Long John Nebel. tongue.gif

StevenBauer
03-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Dave, have you listened to any of the Jean Shepard tapes that are floating around? Seems some oldtimey radio operator fans of Shep's made some reel-to-reel tapes and now they are available. I pop one in in the shop sometimes. :D

Steven

paladin
03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Naw...it was Big John and Sparky.....

Dave Fleming
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Stephen, I have D/L all the tapes that I could find on the web.

Oh the stories I could tell of Ol' Shep and the Kite Festival in Washington Square Park in NYC or the Creeping Meatball Festival or the one man show at some flea bag theater on Second Ave. with Shel Silverstein as half time entertainment. :D

StevenBauer
03-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Tell, tell. smile.gif I saw him at Rutgers when I was in High School. I took the bus. That was mid seventies. He sure had a way with words. I have a bunch of cassette tapes, I didn't even think of downloading them. Hmm, now that I have an iPod...

Steven

[ 03-05-2006, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: StevenBauer ]

Dave Fleming
03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Dates me a bit Steven but, those were in the middle 1950's. redface.gif

My father''s office was in the same building as the WOR Studios, 1440 Broadway right across the street from the old Metropolitan Opera Building.

And THAT is another set of stories. ;)

Phil Heffernan
03-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Best DJ ever: Murray the K, on WINS NY. 1960's...

Now I only listen to satellite radio. Free commercial radio is a wasteland, with the exception of college stations in NY (WFUV), or LA (KCRW)...Also like KUAF, from a tip here on the Forum...

PH

Dave Fleming
03-05-2006, 11:12 PM
1960's...Late 50's early 60's, I was too busy working on Wall St. to have time to listen to the radio.
1962 left Nu Yoork for the Left Coast.

Since I refused to read Playboy, I betcha I missed some good Shep stuff,sigh.

Dolly Varden
03-05-2006, 11:20 PM
the good radio is all on shortwave