PDA

View Full Version : Cooper in depth

cs
03-24-2006, 04:04 PM
So you think Alice Cooper is about as deep as a puddle, well I beg to differ. Open your heart and minds and listen to what he has to say.

What about in "I Never Cry" where he takes on the desperation of lonleness and the way men hide their feelings.

Or what about "Only Women Bleed" where he takes spousely abuse.

Let's not forget "No More Mr. Nice Guy" where society has shunned and kicked him around. Doesn't this say something about how we should treat people?

"How You Gonna See Me" will you be there for me after I go through this bout of deppression.

In "Jackknife Johnny" he takes on the pain and agnony of Vetnam Vets before we knew what that was.

With "Welcome to My Nightmare" we explore the dangers of drug abuse and the trap it weaves for us.

I could go on and will if you want me too.

Chad

Paul Girouard
03-24-2006, 04:10 PM
He's a pretty good golfer as well smile.gif

TomF
03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I don't mean to offend ... much. I'll grant that he's touched on some more weighty issues than most popular rock singers. But Alice is an entertainer, not primarily a poet.

If you want to find depth in words, you need a real poet.
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

- Langston Hughes If you want to find real depth in music, you need a real musician ... like the ones on the other list.

cs
03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Tom you can't offend me when talking about Cooper. I'll admit he can be a little hard to take, but once you look into his music you see he is not the evil one that most think he is.

He may be an entertanier, but so was Jim Morrision and they call him a poet. Cooper is a revelutionary, taking on what society has made taboo and exploring the inner depths of it or making fun of it.

Bet I'm the only one here with a framed photo of him on their wall. :D

Chad

cs
03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
"Wake Me Gently"

And I never come home
Please help me, I'm frightened
Of what's going on
What's going on
And if I can't wake up
Will I be all alone
A stranded orphan here
Or will I bump into
Some other wandering soulChad

TomF
03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Well Chad, I've a university professor friend who's a big metal fan, and is in the process of writing a major book on metal and its cultural influence. He likes Cooper too ...

Morrison didn't make my list either, you'll have seen! The artists who work as hard to cultivate their image as to perfect their art just don't do it for me. If the artistic message is strong enough, it will be heard no matter what the artist looks like.

Gotta go -

t.

cs
03-24-2006, 04:34 PM
I would be interested in reading his book. Cooper was defintly one of the pioners in music. Some of the acts that followed are not to my liking, but hey that is okay.

Most folks are scared of what they don't understand. Alice takes these fears and faces them head on.

The son of deacon and not a minister as most think, Vincent rebelled, but if you look into his soul you can see that he still held on to his values, he just showed them to you in a different light.

Here I go on and on about music, like it is important in the grand scheme of things, but wait maybe it is.

Can you tell I love music?

Chad

Hwyl
03-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by TomF:
If the artistic message is strong enough, it will be heard no matter what the artist looks like.

This guy may disagree

http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/ppalms/graphics/micalo.jpg