X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack grebe
    Misunderstood
    • Feb 2001

cold

define cold. what is it. from what I learned in school, there is only heat in varing degrees
    Originally posted by George Jung
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented
  • glowell222
    • Apr 2002

Which do you prefer: adjective, noun, adverb or verb?
    Berryville, VA: A quaint little drinking community with a farming problem.

Comment

• Popeye
      speedo
      • Jun 2003

you confusing thermodynamics with sensory perception

Comment

• jackgrebe
        Misunderstood
        • Feb 2001

still....there is only heat and lack of it
        Originally posted by George Jung
        Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Comment

• cedar savage
          • Aug 2005

Yer werkin up a sweat out in da cedar swamp. It's thurdytree below. Ya stops fer a chaw of RedMan. Ya spits yer chaw and it goes "snap" as it freezes before it hits da groun. Dat dere is as good a daffynition of cold as yer gonna git.

Comment

• troutman
            Banned
            • Sep 2004

When all the cars and trucks have electric cords coming out the front. that's cold. Like in Lake Placid or Old Forge where they don't talk windchill; 30 below is 30 below.

Comment

• glowell222
              • Apr 2002

I love that saying, popeye, particularly when people look at me with shock. Then I explain it to them.
              Berryville, VA: A quaint little drinking community with a farming problem.

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
                Banned
                • Feb 2002

I was good friends with my high-school unified calc teacher. He used to be a Bell Labs scientist then he had bypass surgery, one of the first by Dr. Debakey down in TX. After the heart surgery he became uninsurable and so he went to work in a high-school for the benefits. Anyway he was a cool old guy looked kinda like a balding Einstein and met his wife when they were both working at Los Alamos ya know some NY project Anyway again, they were moving and I offered to help. I remember I was moving the refrigerator and grabbed the back where the coils were. It was hot and I said why would a refrigerator be hot? His reply was "cold is only the absence of heat" This lead into a long conversation about thermodynamics and entropy well into dinner where true to entropy very little packing took place. I miss that teacher, he is one of those you carry with you for the rest of your life.

[ 03-09-2006, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Comment

• RichKrough
                  • Dec 2002

cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2001

OK Joe. So why are the coils on the back of a refrigerater hot and for that matter any condensing unit?

Comment

• PatCox
                      • Mar 2002

Cause when you compress a gas it heats up, when you release the pressure it cools off. When it heats up, it releases heat into its surroundings, when it cools off, it sucks heat out of its surroundings.

So if you put compressed gas into a bunch of pipes and allow the pressure to rapidly fall, those pipes will get cold. Put those pipes in an insulated box and call it a refridgerator. The pipe then leads out of the box to the compressor, where it is compressed, the pipes leading out of the compressor will therefore be hot, keep those out of the box.

Comment

• ndaniels
                        Just this guy...
                        • Jun 2005

popeye asks:
                        soo .. trivia, what's a 'brass monkey' then ?
                        A 'brass monkey' was the stand used to hold a stack of iron cannon-balls in a lovely, tight, geometric arrangement. In extreme cold, the difference in contraction (between the 2 metals) would cause the cannon-balls to 'break formation' and jump out of the monkey.
                        What do I win?
                        Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
                        ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                          pinko commie tree hugger
                          • Oct 2003

A 'brass monkey' was the stand used to hold a stack of iron cannon-balls in a lovely, tight, geometric arrangement. In extreme cold, the difference in contraction (between the 2 metals) would cause the cannon-balls to 'break formation' and jump out of the monkey.
                          What do I win?
                          Bullcrap! Brass monkey is this rather fruity drink with rum and vodka and orange and pineapple juice that fraternity boys use to try remove the panties of sorority girls. I thought everybody knew this.

Sorry for the thread drift; now back to the absence of heat discussion.

[ 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]
                          Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Uncle Grumpy
                            Extra Salty
                            • Aug 2003

Colder then a brass toilet seat on the shady side of a glacier.....

HF

Comment

• ken_nyus
                              • May 2005

Cold is the absence of heat.

Dark is the absence of light.

Evil is the absence of good.

Comment

Working...