PDA

View Full Version : Starving Oil Burners.....

Norske3
03-05-2006, 09:40 AM
.....need a fresh supply of OXYGEN...YES?

Is the flame orange? Not good........Awhile back in "Mech Illustrated" Mag an article discussed running a 6" dia duct from cellar window over and straight down to the air intake of blower motor.If your cellar is small and tight you need an air duct from outside....yet I have never seen one used in all the cellars I've hid out in :D .. in my lifetime.

Any Forumites have one?

ishmael
03-05-2006, 09:48 AM
My furnace is a Miller gun. Not quite sure what that is, or if it burns the blue it should. I've never looked. It sounds like it's burning well.

And it definately draws air when it's on. I've got poly over windows and the doors to unused rooms. When the furnace comes on the poly billows out; when off it billows in.

What are you asking? Do you need a special air intake? I don't know. This place is open enough that I don't feel the need here. Your mileage may vary. How's your breathing feel? smile.gif

Norske3
03-05-2006, 10:01 AM
A direct air supply from outside....not drawing the oxygen from the closed in cellar.

ahp
03-05-2006, 10:51 AM
One reason for having a direct air intake to the furnace, or fireplace for that matter, is efficiency. Most houses are pretty leaky, and that is good to a point. You need an airchange for your own health. But, the furnace will suck in the air to replace what goes up the stack, and it will be sucking in cold outside air, right past your feet perhaps. Routing the outside air needed for combustion directly to the firebox avoids that discumfort.

I believe that oil burneer service folks have an oxygen meter that measures the excess oxygen in the stack gasses. They use this to adjust the fuel air ratio.

Dave Davis
03-05-2006, 02:13 PM
What's been said is correct, and there's comfort reasons too to provide outside combustion air. If you go to the furnace install specs you'll find xx sf of basement is required to supply xx btu of furnace capacity. For example, our 70k btu/hr input oil burner (Riello burner) requires all of the 600sf of basement we have, unless provided an external source of combustion air. So your requirements are based on available sf and size of the furnace.

The comfort comes from what happens when you don't provide outside air for combustion, the burner puts ambient up the flue and you get outside air seeping in through cracks/etc to make up that combustion air. The air seeping in is considerably drier than in summer...you heat that air (not the combustion air but the new air in your house) making it relatively drier still, and your house is dry as a bone. Great for sticky doors, but hard on the furniture and your nasal passages.

Outside combustion air to the furnace that limits infiltration, combined with a reasonably tight house, will result in a more comfortable heated environment of somewhat higher humidity...though still drier than summer.

Figment
03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
I've never seen an oil burning furnace burn a blue flame.

Hwyl
03-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Norske3:
Any Forumites have one?Yes.

I wanted the fresh air. When I was refitting the house, I created a bit of plaster dust and it gummed up the air intake. I was chatting with the plumber and he said they were available, he'd never installed one and would like a go.

Meerkat
03-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Improperly vented furnaces can lead to back drafts and thus Carbon Monoxide.

Don't worry though - you'll just fall asleep and never wake up. A peaceful way to go... ;)

Ron Williamson
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
It's code around here,even in old installations.
The oil companies won't keep you warm if it ain't right.
R