X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Senior Mumbler
    • Feb 2002

Bush Startled By Rooftop Solar Panels!

Didn't know they had them things, eh, George?

world news
    Monday, Feb 20, 2006 Email this to a friend
    print this page

Bush says U.S. on verge of 'startling' breakthroughs in energy technology

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Saying the country is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that would "startle" most Americans, President George W. Bush on Monday outlined his energy proposals to help wean the country off foreign oil.
    Less than half the crude oil used by refineries is produced in the United States, while 60 per cent comes from foreign countries, Bush said during the first stop on a two-day trip to talk about energy.

Some of these foreign suppliers have "unstable" governments that have fundamental differences with America, he said.

"It creates a national security issue and we're held hostage for energy by foreign nations that may not like us," Bush said.

Bush is focusing on energy at a time when Americans are paying high power bills to heat their homes this winter and have only recently seen a decrease in gasoline prices.

One of Bush's proposals would expand research into smaller, longer-lasting batteries for electric-gas hybrid cars, including plug-ins. He highlighted that initiative with a visit Monday to the battery centre at Milwaukee-based auto-parts supplier Johnson Controls Inc.

During his trip, Bush is also focusing on a proposal to increase investment in development of clean electric power sources, and proposals to speed the development of biofuels such as "cellulosic" ethanol made from wood chips or sawgrass.

Energy conservation groups and environmentalists say they're pleased that the president, a former oil man in Texas, is stressing alternative sources of energy, but they contend his proposals don't go far enough. They say the administration must consider greater fuel-efficiency standards for cars, and some economists believe it's best to increase the gas tax to force consumers to change their driving habits.

During his visit to Johnson Controls' new hybrid battery laboratory, Bush checked out two Ford Escapes; one with a nickel-metal-hybrid battery, the kind that powers most hybrid-electric vehicles, and one with a lithium-ion battery, which Johnson Controls believes are the wave of the future. The lithium-ion battery was about half the size of the older-model battery. In 2004, Johnson Controls received a government contract to develop the lithium-ion batteries.

While Bush is highlighting his budget proposals to help wean America from foreign oil, the lab he visited is meeting a $28 million US shortfall by cutting its staff by 32 people, including eight researchers.

"Our nation is on the threshold of new energy technology that I think will startle the American people," Bush said. "We're on the edge of some amazing breakthroughs, breakthroughs all aimed at enhancing our national security and our economic security and the quality of life of the folks who live here in the United States."

Later Monday, Bush was visiting the United Solar Ovonics Plant, which makes solar panels, in Auburn Hills, Mich., outside Detroit. The company also works on hydrogen fuel cells to power autos.

"Roof makers will one day be able to make a solar roof that protects you from the elements and at the same time, powers your house," Bush said. "The vision is this - that technology will become so efficient that you'll become a little power generator in hour home. and if you don't use the energy you generate you'll be able to feed it back into the electricity grid."

Representative Ed Markey (D-Mass.) questioned Bush's energy policies Monday, saying the administration also supports subsidies for luxury SUVs.

"This single tax subsidy dwarfs anything being done for hybrid batteries," Markey said in a news release.

On Tuesday, Bush plans to visit the Energy Department's National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colo., to talk about speeding the development of biofuels.

As a complement to Bush's travels, six cabinet officials are criss-crossing the country this week, appearing at more than two dozen energy events in more than a dozen states.

© The Canadian Press, 2006
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.
  • meerkat
    Senior Member #4667
    • Feb 2002

The company I worked for in 1985 was able to make such panels. Also windows that worked as solar cells.

The company flourished for awhile, but then died when government interest/subsidies/tax breaks evaporated.

We were just down the street from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, which was mostly an energy efficient building in a nice park with little actual research being conducted.

Distributed energy generation is unlikely to take hold in countries with substantial existing investments in energy distribution grids. On the other hand, it makes much sense in countries that don't have an existing infrastructure, such as China or India.

Our largest contract was with an Indian (government controlled) company called Bhopal Heavy Electric Limited for the creation of an automated amorphous solar cell production line. Glass squares and many nasty gases went in one end and, in theory, finished 1' square panels came out the other end.

[ 02-20-2006, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]
    If you don't think for yourself, someone else will do it for you!

Comment

• uncas
      Ancient Mariner
      • Sep 2004

Did I miss something in the article...he seemed to be talking about efficient....reliable sources of energy...solar panels in this case....
      I don't know how efficient solar panels are now or how reliable they are.or how much they currently cost......although they have been around for a while....
      This is not a defence...just I don't think it jibes with the topic...posted...." startled" etc....

Comment

• High C
        • Mar 2003

I would be startled of they developed affordable solar panels that produce more than a few watts per acre of area!

[ 02-20-2006, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: High C ]

Comment

• Paul Denison
          • Nov 2001

I believe the research is on roof tiles and other materials that will work that way.

Comment

• meerkat
            Senior Member #4667
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by High C:
            I would be startled of they developed affordable solar panels that produce more than a few watts per acre of area!
            Ok, be startled then. Solar cells are capable of supplying kilowatts per acre. A 2' x 3' (roughly) commercially available solar array will produce 50-75 watts of power and cost under $300.

Comment

• meerkat
              Senior Member #4667
              • Feb 2002

What would startle me, happily, is a breakthrough in fusion.

Comment

• uncas
                Ancient Mariner
                • Sep 2004

Meer..if these panels were on a building in say the SW I could understand...but what would be the output in say Seatle....or Portland, Me.... or Green Bay...?

Comment

• meerkat
                  Senior Member #4667
                  • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Paul Denison:
                  I believe the research is on roof tiles and other materials that will work that way.
                  The research has been done. They work. The technology is over a decade old, at least.

Comment

• meerkat
                    Senior Member #4667
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by uncas:
                    Meer..if these panels were on a building in say the SW I could understand...but what would be the output in say Seatle....or Portland, Me.... or Green Bay...?
                    It would be less, but the solution is a larger array.

I admit I was startled to meet someone whose parents actually had an off-grid solar/wind powered house in the Seattle area though. Not only that, but it was up north in the convergence zone (more clouds/rain, less sunny days).

[ 02-20-2006, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Comment

• High C
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Meerkat:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:
                      Ok, be startled then....</font>[/QUOTE]It was a joke, son, a joke!

Still, at that price, the cost of those kilowatts per acre is 2 million bucks!

Comment

• uncas
                        Ancient Mariner
                        • Sep 2004

let's see,,,75 watts...how long can I run my computer and play in the bilge on that/day.....?

Have a feeling I would have to be adopted by the neighbor with a computer....and another power source.

[ 02-20-2006, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Comment

• cedar savage
                          • Aug 2005

Check out the stock performance of that solar panel and fuel cell company -- the parent is Energy Conversion Devices -- NASDAQ ticker ENER. Take a look at the one year performance.

Huge expansion planned. Somebody knows something, that's why the President went there for a visit.

Comment

• LeeG
                            • May 2002

GW is working hard to ensure that with solar panels they won't hate us.

Anywho it's a good sign that some of the right wing folks are on this too. And not with tax credits for SUVs. If the democratic party had any gonads they'd have a plan to transition through peak oil and increasing competition for crude.

Comment

• formerlyknownasprince
                              Banned
                              • May 2002

I worked on this issue over a decade ago - the issue is the harmonics with / between the home production and the grid.

Comment

Working...