X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan D. Hyde
    • Jul 2000

Palawan

Copied from a post on another thread---

I myself have heard some favorable comments concerning Palawan.

Anyone here have personal knowledge or experience?

Andrew, Chuck, or others???

Alan

P.S. to Billy Bones---

"Put as briefly as I can, you must be running toward something, not away."

You drove that nail with one swing of the hammer...
  • George.
    • Aug 2004

Bin Laden is hiding in Palawan - I got an e-mail from Nigeria that assures me that he is developing WMD there.

So maybe you Yanks can invade and occupy it and democratize it, and if you send enough troops, maybe you can even enjoy the beaches without getting blown up.

Comment

• Alan D. Hyde
      • Jul 2000

Don't everyone speak at once...

Alan

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
        Banned
        • Feb 2002

My buddy Phil (CSOH) has ideas about retiring to Panama, he might chime in, Unless the giant mosquito plucked him off the ground and carried him off into the sunset

Bzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

Comment

• LisaS
          • Oct 2001

I lived on Bohol for a year in 1977-78. I would love to be able to go back!

Lisa

Comment

• paladinsfo
            Senior Senior Member
            • Dec 2000

Lisa...lotsa things have changed....
            Wakan Tanka Kici Un
            ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
            Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
            Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
            "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• Alan D. Hyde
              • Jul 2000

That was cryptic, Chuck...

Alan

Comment

• paladinsfo
                Senior Senior Member
                • Dec 2000

Drug runners etc....rampant murders...mostly locals but a tourist gets it every now and then...Palawan..if you wanna live in a barrio like a pilipino..you can on a U.S. retirement..if you wanna live like an american....bring LOTSA cash....
                Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Comment

• brad9798
                  • May 2000

I've a model of a 65' steel ketch named Palawan about two feet about my head ... atop my computer armoire.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
                  Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Comment

• paladinsfo
                    Senior Senior Member
                    • Dec 2000

..one of several "Palawan"s....
                    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Comment

• Ian Marchuk
                      • Sep 2005

It was -34C this am . I was supposed to go to a field welding job , some 60 or so miles off into the bush. Usually I have two block heaters powered up when I am to go to the field in cold weather. For some reason I only plugged in one. The weak one as it turned out. Nobody home . No start. I proceeded to grind away on the starter and succeeded in flooding the engine . Propane for fuel. After much buggering around I had to accept the fact that I wasn't going anywhere. Well , bilgemates , 8 hours later , a battery change and much frustration the old bucket fired and ran as if it had been shut off an hour earlier.
                      So , disgusted , discouraged , and sick as a dog with a rotten cold that just came on like Jack the Bear, I retired to the house noodling the wisdom I gleaned this morning: In effect , one has to go to , not away from...
                      So I dial up the WBF and now I know where I would like to go.... Alan , THANK YOU for showing me that there is life beyond the frozen snowbank that has me in her clutches , the picture displays a marvel of creation within my grasp.... all I have to do is GO FOR IT.

Comment

• Hwyl
                        Gareth
                        • Jan 2003

Tom Watson told me that he was there during WW II for rest and recreation. He liked it so much, he named all his boats after it.

Wish I'd asked him for a job during our chat.

Comment

• uncas
                          Ancient Mariner
                          • Sep 2004

Hwyl....If we are talking about the same Tom Watson...IBM....lives(d) on Vinal or North Haven...yup...he had a few palawans....

Comment

• paladinsfo
                            Senior Senior Member
                            • Dec 2000

There are nice places to hide out...just stay away from the "highly trafficed" areas...to include Tawi Tawi and Borneo in general....cebu...and north central Luzon...there are hospitals in Bagio, Manila, cagayan del oro, and a very small one on cebu...no fancy diagnostic stuff...lotsa nurses....when I would need a real doctor I gotta first class seat to Bangkok....
                            Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Comment

• Bob Smalser
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by paladin:
                              There are nice places to hide out...
                              All those besides Paladin who've actually lived in a Third-World country for over a year raise your hand.

Paradise can get stale pretty quickly. Also real expensive should you have to fly out for First-World medical care.
                              Bob

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/b...lser-index.asp
                              http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl#smalser

Comment

Working...