PDA

View Full Version : Gag me with a drilling platform

Osborne Russel
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Interior chief Gale Norton to step down

- Zachary Coile, San Francisco Chronicle Washington Bureau
Saturday, March 11, 2006

In a resignation letter to Bush, Norton said she is ready to leave government for a private sector job, which is likely to prove much more lucrative. After five years in Washington, the former Colorado attorney general from Denver said she and her husband hope to "end up closer to the mountains we love in the West."
"Mr. President, this department has climbed the mountaintop in terms of achieving the goals we set out to accomplish," wrote Norton, whose resignation takes effect at the end of March.
"Now I feel it is time for me to leave this mountain you gave me to climb, catch my breath, then set my sights on new goals to achieve in the private sector."

Norton was one of Bush's most controversial nominees and faced a bitter confirmation fight in which critics labeled her "James Watt in a skirt" -- a reference to former President Ronald Reagan's interior secretary who argued for weakening environmental rules and boosting logging and mining on public lands.
Norton was a Watt protege, serving under him as a top lawyer at the Interior Department. She also worked with Watt at the Mountain States Legal Foundation, a Denver-based conservative group that championed private property rights and challenged environmental regulations.

LeeG
03-13-2006, 04:00 PM
no doubt she's got connections, the opportunities, then again,,the ship could be sinking

George.
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
"James Watt in a skirt" Is that the fellow who said that there was nothing wrong with crapping on the carpet, because The Last Judgement was coming soon, and we wouldn't live long enough to be up to our chins in crap?

The roots of all this crap grow back to 1980...

Osborne Russel
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by George.:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />"James Watt in a skirt" Is that the fellow who said that there was nothing wrong with crapping on the carpet, because The Last Judgement was coming soon, and we wouldn't live long enough to be up to our chins in crap?</font>[/QUOTE]smile.gif ;)

Originally posted by George.:
The roots of all this crap grow back to 1980...
The inhabitants of your country districts regard -wrongfully, it is true -- Indians and forests as natural enemies which must be exterminated by fire and sword and brandy, in order that they may seize their territory.

-- Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours, to Thomas Jefferson, December 17, 1801