PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful snow

Ian McColgin
03-03-2006, 07:21 AM
We had a very beautiful snowfall yesterday.

The most remarkable thing is that all the roads are ploughed, even the back roads that usually don't get any attention for days. I guess everyone figured this was their last chance to score a few buck$.

But it's still beautiful and who'd begrudge a plough operator a little cash in a short season.

uncas
03-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Nothing here...nada....Well, this is Maryland...

Sue H.
03-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Ian, it's like springtime here. The daffodils have bloomed and the pollen is rampant!

Enjoy the snow, and post some pics, if you can. We'll enjoy winter vicariously.

Ian McColgin
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Even more beautiful for some. I penetrated to the Business section of the Cape Cod Times to see that Dick Beard Chevrolet & Subaru in Hyannis had a President's Day promotion promicing $5,000 to folk who bought cars between Feb 13 and Feb 20 if it snowed at least 5" on March 2.

What are the odds, eh?

The official judging agency Beard had contracted with validated 6-1/2" as of 1945.

The dealership will be paying out about $250,000!!

Actually, the prize is underwritten by HCC Specialty Underwriters, so I guess the auto dealer got his money'$ worth on that one.

ishmael
03-03-2006, 08:17 AM
"Generous tears filled Gabriel's eyes. He had never felt like that himself towards any woman, but he knew that such a feeling must be love. The tears gathered more thickly in his eyes and in the partial darkness he imagined he saw the form of a young man standing under a dripping tree. Other forms were near. His soul had approached that region where dwell the vast hosts of the dead. He was conscious of, but could not apprehend, their wayward and flickering existence. His own identity was fading out into a grey impalpable world: the solid world itself, which these dead had one time reared and lived in, was dissolving and dwindling.

A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves."

Joyce

TomF
03-03-2006, 08:21 AM
"Beautiful Snow." Hmmph.

The beauty is almost incandescent in December and January. By March, it's beginning to be lost on me ... as I watch my tiny forest of seeds sprout in the sunroom.

t.

Joe (SoCal)
03-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Fookin SNOW !!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
I'm sick and tired of the freakin snow. I WANT SPRING. Some of the trees were budding last week gave me freakin HOPE. Now I have to go and shovel the barn and walk ways. All this with a freaking cold I have had for like a MONTH now. Depressing when you have two boats your itching to sail.

NO MORE SNOW !!!!!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Joe,<tt><pre>
The strength to change the things we can change.
The serenity to leave the things we cannot change.
The wisdom to tell the difference.
</pre></tt>
There's no business like snow business.....

[ 03-03-2006, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: P.I. Stazzer-Newt ]

Dolly Varden
03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
When this dam is removed the troll flood will open. Watch what happens. It is in your hands now, good luck. Never offer your hand in friendship, learn your lessons, Remember if you feed them they grow and grow.

old chinese proverb

cedar savage
03-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Yah say ya like da deep snow? Come to da U.P. ehhh?

Current snow conditions for Houghton (measured in Painesdale) and Keweenaw (measured in Delaware) Counties.
Area Snowfall
HOUGHTON COUNTY has 36 inches on the ground and has received 250.5 inches to date. KEWEENAW COUNTY has 38 inches on the ground and has received 258.3 inches to date.

Dan McCosh
03-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Is that enough to keep the lakes full?

cedar savage
03-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Only if it melts. Sometimes it doesn't melt until mid May, early June. :D

Bruce Hooke
03-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Yup, it sure is pretty around here. We got about 5" of light, fluffy snow. I've been out photographing it and enjoying it...

N. Scheuer
03-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Happy to hear you're enjoying your snow. "Better you than me", I always say.

Personally, I'm looking forward to warm Sprintime days enjoying the commissioning our boats for another season of sailing.

Moby Nick

Ron Williamson
03-04-2006, 07:51 AM
I like it, snow or not,cuz it's sunny and bright.
In November, December and January it's just grey.
R

[ 03-04-2006, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Ron Williamson ]

Meerkat
03-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Sue H.:
Ian, it's like springtime here. The daffodils have bloomed and the pollen is rampant!
MM seems kind of rampant lately too! ;) :D