PDA

View Full Version : Voice over IP

cs
02-09-2006, 06:03 PM
The boss is wanting me to look into this at work. Maybe combining our phone and internet service and possibly doing away with the T1 and doing something else (ie cable DSL etc).

Chad

cs
02-09-2006, 06:13 PM
What about in a buisness setting with multiple phone lines and fax machines and a security system that needs an analog line?

Chad

Meerkat
02-09-2006, 06:19 PM
VoIP started with business phone systems. Probably 10 years ago. I think the kinks are all worked out.

You'll need to retain 1 analog line for the security system if they have not moved to an internet alert system.

[ 02-09-2006, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

High C
02-09-2006, 06:30 PM
A very important thing for good VOIP function is the UPLOAD speed of your Internet service. It should be at least 256K per phone or device that may be used simult..simultaneous...sim... at the same time.

Test yours to see what it realy is.

Paul Pless
02-09-2006, 06:38 PM
You'll need to retain 1 analog line for the security system if they have not moved to an internet alert system.
Most sophisticated security systems use either cellular or radio transmission for alerting dispatchers.

Meerkat
02-09-2006, 06:41 PM
FWIW, in the long term, all phones in the US are likely to be VoIP. Saves on having both an analog and digital network.

cs
02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
I'll start looking into that tommorow and may have more questions than.

Chad

Meerkat
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Donn:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Meerkat:
..all phones in the US are likely to be VoIP. Not likely. System and platform redundancy will always have a market.</font>[/QUOTE]If you can afford it. An all digital network is the stated ambition of serveral of the former baby bells.

Meerkat
02-09-2006, 07:34 PM
I think we must agree to disagree. I think analog will become increasingly expensive as it becomes less prevalent.

clancy
02-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Most sophisticated security systems use either cellular or radio transmission for alerting dispatchers.
For commercial business systems radio and cell transmitters are used as a backup to the primary transmission of signals over a phone line. The phone line is more likely to be an analog or POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line. These systems meet the criteria for UL line security which is the industry standard. At the present time UL will only allow a VOIP system that uses a DSL line.

In places where cell and RF are reliable, that may be true. In the canyons of Manhattan, they aren't.
There are many places in the suburbs too where radios and cells simply do not work. For this reason and also because a typical residential customer will not have the necessary power backups an analog phone line is required as the primary means of communication.

Meerkat
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
"agree to disagree." What a lame cliche. As long as there are businesses (and military apps) requiring multiple platform redundancies, analog will be one of them. The wires are strung. Until they are removed, they will be used.Fine! Invest in the glorious and expanding future of analog communcations! tongue.gif

Oh, and news flash: the military has been going digital since the late 60's (I was there!). By now I doubt there's much analog left.

[ 02-09-2006, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Meerkat
02-09-2006, 08:57 PM
I never said people were not making a good living selling analog today. My opinion, based on keeping abreast of the industry and trends is that will diminish as the carriers move to a single all-digital network (network backbones have been digital for more than 20 years btw).

As for being obnoxious and credentials, I've spent 35 years in the business and it's been my hobby too. IIRC, you had a brief stint as a Marine radio operator, follwed by an english-lit non-degree and then a career as a left over book peddler. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it's scarcely a technical background.

Sorry, I'm not offering either analog or digital services at this time. tongue.gif

[ 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

garland reese
02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
We've been on voice over IP for a while now. You'd better have a good amount of bandwidth to work with and a good network infrastructure, or it may be painfully slow, if you've a lot of traffic on your network. Additionally, there may be a few kinks to work out on the front end. We had a fair amount of "ehco" and dropped calls when we went. We have a pretty beefy network, and it can still be a bit slow from time to time.
Do your homework; write some well defined performance requirements. Interview as many prospective providers as is practical, and hold them to the fire...... it's good stuff when it works. It is a bigass headache if it doesn't perform.

clancy
02-09-2006, 09:15 PM
By now I doubt there's much analog left.
The military is one thing but in the private sector there's still an abundance of analog circuits. Back in the 70's the phone company said they would no longer support AC circuits. Now thirty years later PADC and SSDC circuits are still in use. The phone company is even still installing new AC circuits.

How many towns still have pole mounted Gamewell boxes for their fire alarm systems? I know mine still does. McCollough transmitters predate the invention of the telephone and they are still in use today.

Someday everything will be digital but I doubt it will happen during my lifetime.

Meerkat
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM

You, OTOH, failed in the technology business. Maybe that's because you are so closed-minded about the use of technology.If I failed in the technology business, it's news to me. How would you know?

Maybe I don't have the material posessions you have, but then I have little taste for being a low life son of a bitch either.

ccmanuals
02-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I use it at home (Vonage) and love it. But, not sure about the business environment. I know becuase it is IP there are real security issues if that's a concern.