PDA

View Full Version : Linux Question

High C
02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Do any of you Linux users know anything about Linspire?

Specifically, the CNR thing, whereby one subscribes to a software library that lets you choose a new program, hit a couple of buttons, and voila, the new software is installed? This is a paid subscription. I know there is beacoup free Linux shareware to be had, so my question is, (Linux ignernt here) with Linspire, can software still be found and installed the same as other Linux distros, or is the CNR the only way to acquire new apps?

High C
02-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Norman Bernstein:
I don't have an answer to your question... but as a historical note, I believe Linspire was formerly 'Lindows', which purported to be a Linux variant that would run a number of Windows applications without modification. Microsoft sued them, of course, over trademark infringment on the name... not sure if they also sued and prevailed on the technology or not.Right, I remember that history.

I´ve been playing around with a ¨Live CD¨ version of Linspire a bit, and find it better than the other versions I´ve seen (Ubuntu and Knoppix), but I´m a little concerned about how proprietary it may be with regards to installing new software. Itś very much geared to steer users to its paid library.

Linux rookie here!

imported_GregW
02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
The answer to the original question is: yes...with a little work.

How to install free software on Linspire (http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/04/10/2143214)

High C
02-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks Greg! That's what I needed.

Meerkat
02-24-2006, 07:16 PM
If you can master a Debian (hard) or Gentoo (pretty easy) install, you can use their built in "download and install app" tools.

I reallly like Gentoo's portage tool.

High C
02-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
If you can master a Debian (hard) or Gentoo (pretty easy) install, you can use their built in "download and install app" tools.

I reallly like Gentoo's portage tool.Gentoo, ehh? Do they have a downloadable "live CD" to play with?

Meerkat
02-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Not that I know of. Have a look here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

imported_GregW
02-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Gentoo, in my opinion, is not for beginners. Yes it's one of the best distributions out there. It's highly customizable, which is a blessing for advanced users, but a curse for beginners. If you have intimate knowledge of all your hardware, are comfortable working from a command line, have a few hours (ok many hours) to spend and want to compile your very own customized kernel Gentoo is for you.

cs
02-25-2006, 08:54 AM
You know for me this linux things is pretty cool toy (in fact I'm on it right now) but for pratical use I'm not sure I'm ready for it and I know the wife isn't.

Chad

High C
02-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by GregW:
Gentoo, in my opinion, is not for beginners. ...compile your very own customized kernel...Beginner, indeed! Hmmph, and itś spelled colonel!
;) :D

Meerkat
02-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Thank you, General Confusion! :D

imported_GregW
02-25-2006, 07:08 PM
High C, a bit of a faux pas on my part...sorry about that.

High C
02-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by GregW:
High C, a bit of a faux pas on my part...sorry about that.Thanks, Captain! ;)

WX
02-25-2006, 09:41 PM
breezy badger ubuntu is tops, i've used a few now and have settled on this.
install automatix and easyunbuntu after you have the distro installed and you won't look back.
ubuntu is free to use and they will even send you the disks postage free.

imported_GregW
02-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Gentoo has just release it's latest version. This one actually includes an installer. The link brings you to screen shots of what to expect if one decides to give it a try.
Gen too 2006.0 (http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=588&slide=7&title=gentoo%20linux%202006.0%20screenshots)

High C
02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, I've acquired both "live" CDs and installation CDs of Linspire and Ubuntu.

The old experimental box I'm using is an AMD K6-III 400mhz with 380 megs of RAM. I realize this is well below minimum hardware specs for either distribution.

With Ubuntu I can't load either CD on this machine. It hangs early on in the process every time. The live CD does work nicely on my laptop, however.

The Linspire live CD worked very well, so well, that I went ahead and installed it on the hard drive. It works splendidly. Programs take a long time to open, but once open, function almost as well as any current Windows based computer. And this is a 6 year old relic. All the stuff works, printer, wireless network, haven't tried the digital camera yet.

The CNR software library works like a charm. It costs $20 a year, which I consider a service charge for the convenience. Oodles of freeware can be easily installed with this system, some of which is great, some of which, ehhh, just like Windows in that regard. Open Office and the Mozilla products are available, along with thousands of others.

I'm downloading the Gentoo Live CD as we speak, in hopes that it'll work on this old dinosaur, too. The CNR library is easy and cheap, but it is limiting. Greg, I'll have to dig in a little deeper to figure out how to go around CNR to install software from other sources.

Having fun! Thanks... :cool:

High C
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Another question for Meerkat or Greg, the Gentoo site offers several versions for the full install, AMD 64, ppc 64, etc. None of them look like they're for the x86 architecture. I don't understand the nomenclature.

Which one for an old K6 box?

Oops, nevermind, the Live CD also has the x86 full install already on it...

[ 02-28-2006, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: High C ]

Meerkat
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
The one labeled "X86"

Meerkat
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't recall: is a K6 a 386 or a 486 equivalent?

386 is not directly supported any more, but a colonel ( ;) ) can be built for it.

High C
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
The one labeled "X86"Yeah, I see it now. I thought that one was "Live" only. Some distros offer a live only disc, I figgered that was the case.

Meerkat
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow - there now IS a Gentoo live CD (for X86 only)! It was not there when this thread first started up!

High C
02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't recall: is a K6 a 386 or a 486 equivalent?

386 is not directly supported any more, but a colonel ( ;) ) can be built for it.It's a 586, sort of equivalent to the Pentium III, not a bad chip. I've gotten more service out of this old box than any other I've ever had.
:cool:

High C
02-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Wow - there now IS a Gentoo live CD (for X86 only)! It was not there when this thread first started up!Yep, and it has the full install on it as well. Linspire was the same way, very handy.

Can't wait to try it.

Meerkat
02-28-2006, 06:03 PM
That old silicon screams with a well-written OS like Linux or freeBSD. MS sells bloatware.

High C
02-28-2006, 06:08 PM
That old silicon screams with a well-written OS like Linux...That's been my experience so far, except for slow opening programs, it's not far behind my AMD 64 machine with XP Pro, in terms of handling speed.

Meerkat
02-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Some programs just naturally take a long time to initialize. Loading and dynamically linking a gazillion libraries isn't fast on any platform.

One of Windows' biggest problems is that it dynamicially links the OS at boot! :rolleyes:

WX
03-01-2006, 01:13 AM
One thing about Ubuntu, it does like a lot of RAM. My lappy is a Dell p4 1.4Gb with nearly 800 Mb RAM...runs like a dream.

imported_GregW
03-01-2006, 02:16 PM
High C,
Good to see you’ve had success with Linspire. Now all you have to do is tweak it to make it do what you want.

After a while of playing around with various “distributions” as different Linux versions are called, you end finding one that does what you want and are comfortable with.
My day-to-day computer runs SUSE 10.0 from Novell, maybe because it was the first one I tried and got use to it, who knows, but it’s the one that I like. I have a second machine, an old Compaq on which I experiment with different distributions, if I wasn’t using SUSE I’d be using Ubuntu. Because all this stuff is free, it cost nothing to compare…neat.