PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU SCOT

Ian McColgin
01-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Just that, thank you for getting our Bilge forum back up.

A couple of questions when you can.

I happen to preferr it when people C&P in moderate (couple thousand words) essays. My computer system is slow and unreliable. When I click a link it's at least a while and often a crash, so I miss out on some good references.

So, are C&P's a problem and should we self-ration?

We all love boat pics happening above the bilge. And we all like pics of family and gardens and Joe's flood damaged bridge, where ever they are. Are pix or picture-C&P's a bandwidth problem?

Should we resist the urge to blow up threads by pix? Well, of course we should resist but is that a problem for keeping the Bilge running?

Anyway, finastkind quick fix and thank you.

Donn
01-28-2006, 10:46 AM
C&P's are merely text, and use no more bandwidth than self-typed text. Pictures use even less of WB's bandwidth, as they are links to other servers. The bandwidth use happens at each end, the site that serves the picture and your PC.

Bruce Hooke
01-28-2006, 10:47 AM
I'll save Scott a little bit of trouble by explaining how pictures work in the context of the forum. Basically, all the server running the forum hs to deal with is the URL that points to the picture. The picture itself (and all the bandwidth it requires) never has to pass through the server that runs the forum. Instead, when you open a thread that has pictures in it YOUR computer figures out that it needs to go to whatever website the picture originally came from to get the picture. So the bandwidth impact of a picture hits both your local connection (which is why pictures can be slow to download) and the source website (e.g., ImageStation), but not the forum that runs the server.

For this reason (and simply because of intellectual property issues), I try to at least give credit to the source of the picture, ideally as a link that someone can use to go to the original website, and I am especially cautious about "grabbing" pictures from what are clearly personal or small business websites, because I don't want to overload their bandwidth limits.

It is a nice touch to say in the title of the thread that the thread contains a lot of pictures so that people with a slow connection can decide if they want to wait a long time for pictures to download.

And lastly a second to your thank you to Scott!

- Bruce

Wild Dingo
01-28-2006, 10:50 AM
ahem... nah buggar it ;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the fast action.

Is there anything I can do to help with data recovery?

brian.cunningham
01-28-2006, 02:52 PM
One solution to that would be forcing pics to be listed as links.

It's an option on all the other forums I go to.
That way the people on dial-up can surf easier.