PDA

View Full Version : Mom's antique desk

Meerkat
03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Arrrrgh. :(

The time has come when I need to find a home for mom's antique desk that I inherited, as she inherited it from her grandmother about 1953. I don't want it to end up being escheated to Washington state. Besides, the car is sick, the bed needs replacing pretty urgently and there are a few other things that need doing while I'm in this clear space for a time.

I think it's a cherry stained oak drop leaf (drop front?) desk with a beautiful double cornicopia carved on the front. There's a drawer below the leaf too and all the brasses are original. It's been used: some ink stains on the interior, and it has some condition issues, primarily that the left front leg is broken below the apron. It's age is estimated to be between 1890's and 1920's, but I think it's towards the older end. That's what my mom said, although there was another story about it's maybe being a farmer's wife's desk from the 1840's that was carried across the prairie in a covered wagon from W. Pennsylvania to Iowa when my ancestors pioneered settlement there.

I can't afford to have it fixed, so it will have to sell as is. This isn't an offer to sell, but there are some people on the forum I like and who I think might give it a good home. I don't know how to go about having it appraised or how or where to sell it. Any suggestions, etc. are welcome!

I know how much I would like/need to get for it, but I sincerely hope that whoever buys it discovers that they got a deal and it's worth more than they paid for it.

http://www.oz.net/~whisper/images/LittleDesk.jpg

Memphis Mike
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Ah man! Don't get rid of it. It's a family heirloom. It's beautiful.

Meerkat
03-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Needs must MMike. I'm the last so I must find it a good family that will cherish it.

Meerkat
03-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Forgot to mention: there are more pics available upon request.

ishmael
03-05-2006, 08:02 PM
To be honest, it doesn't look terribly valuable. Factory, mid-century, a few hundred bucks at market. Second look, it may not be factory. That cover is a carving, not incised. It is quite beautiful.

It was your mother's. That is worth a lot. Are you selling it to prepare for your death? I don't know how else to ask that but to ask it baldly. Settling things? It's good to settle things.

When my mum went to the nursing home we had a house sale. Gawd, all the memory of my life, and hers, and my father's, and my grandparent's went out the door. It was bloody hurtful, and also freeing. That pan, okay a buck, that little thing, kept for sentiment, okay, five bucks. My collection of HO race cars, okay fifteen. It was really hard, but I just faced into it.

This desk, mm. It is not much special, I think, on the market. But hold onto it for you, if that seems right. Or get rid of it! Take pen and paper and write on it. Don't give up on the chance of your life, unless that's the way it works.

[ 03-05-2006, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

stumpbumper
03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
It's a beautiful heirloom desk. Cherish it as long as you can - hope that is a very long time.

Lynn

botebum
03-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Ish- it wouldn't work in a trailer. Don't worry about it. Some worthy traveler will help Meer out.

Doug

Phil Heffernan
03-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Got to thinking about my Mom on another thread...Strange how this one just turned up...

When my Dad died in 1996, my Mom decided to leave the house they shared in NC, and go to England to live with my sister...

She set about packing up all of her treasures, put in separate boxes for seperate kids, and shipping them up to me in NY for storage in one of those storage malls...When she was finished, I went down to the Outer Banks to fetch her to NY to travel on to London...

The trip was sublime, just me & my dear ol' Ma doing a last road trip together, eating junk food off the highway, and cracking each other up about the good old days...

The stateside family all met in Brooklyn to give her a farewell dinner, and squeeze from the kids, and then off she flew to London...

She arrived, had dinner with my sister and her 3 kids, and it was a moment of extreme merriment over Grandma coming to be a Brit...

Died in her sleep that night...

I kept my Mom's stuff in storage for 3 years. Just couldn't let go of it. Finally gone now, thank God, it was getting to be a burden of history...

Meer, is there a special friend that should get that desk?

PH

Meerkat
03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
There are specific people on the forum, one of which I would like to see get the desk, but I'm not going to state my preferences publically. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I hope that whoever gets it does so because they like beautiful things and will care for it. If I could just give it away, it would be much easier, but I need to take care of some things.

[ 03-05-2006, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Meerkat
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
bump

TomF
03-06-2006, 01:24 PM
We need a desk, but I'm on the wrong side of the continent Meer. Otherwise ...

Meerkat
03-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Already has a crate...

Dolly Varden
03-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
There are specific people on the forum, one of which I would like to see get the desk, but I'm not going to state my preferences publically. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I hope that whoever gets it does so because they like beautiful things and will care for it. If I could just give it away, it would be much easier, but I need to take care of some things.thanks anyway but i already have a desk smile.gif

Joe (SoCal)
03-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Pretty desk hard to think about someone else having something with such a sentimental value. Appraisals can't take that into consideration. Grain looks too beefy to be cherry looks more like sturdy oak, but what do I know, I got the teak deck on Tidbit wrong it was cedar :D

Meerkat
03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes, I think it's cherry-stained oak.

Paul Girouard
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Yes, I think it's cherry-stained oak.It's Oak Meer, I think, all most for sure from the looks of it in the photo. With a light walnut stain MTL, or old shellac finish with wax/years of pledge etc , over the top of the org. finish.

It is not cherry, grain pettern isn't right for that. Might be ash althought I doubt it grain isn't wild enough.

Nice desk , how about Craigs list or ebay ? Seeing you have a crate.

Sorry you need to sell it. No neices / nephews? Extended family ?

Good luck, Paul

Dolly Varden
03-06-2006, 11:59 PM
i think the wb forum is his extended family and he wants it to go to one of them