PDA

View Full Version : What have I forgotten?

apindrans
11-11-2003, 06:24 AM
After a month of waiting for the delivery of my Corio Vertue, i've just been told she will be arriving on the 26th. Nov. She needs some work before going back into the water:
- all new standing/running rigging replaced
- some minor surgery on the transom
- all through hull fittings and sea cocks replaced
- stern tube checked and packing replaced
- some minor caulking of above water hull seams

Once back in the water there will be more work to renovate the interior, but I would like to get her back to a sailable condition, and undertake the less critical tasks at a leisurely pace. However, what else should I be taking care of before re-launching her?

Keith Wilson
11-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Are the keelbolts in good shape? Not an easy task to check or fix, but ever since I read about the Blackfish, I've been paranoid about keel bolts. Is this the boat?

http://media18.hypernet.com/mywb/icache/item2323.jpg

[ 11-11-2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]

Bob Smalser
11-11-2003, 01:56 PM
How about a good backup plan, financing and timetable in case your efforts uncover something you didn't anticipate?

Bruce Hooke
11-11-2003, 02:51 PM
On what basis was it determined that the work you listed is all that should be required? If it is the result of a detailed survey by a good surveyor who is familiar with wooden boats then you've got a fairly good assurance that you won't find anything else major. If it was just what someone found crawling around the boat then, of course, there is much more chance that you will find surprises.

Given the work you are doing I imagine you will also need to plan on doing a fair amount of repainting -- at least on the topsides and the bottom.

apindrans
11-17-2003, 04:56 AM
"
On what basis was it determined that the work you listed is all that should be required? Bruce,
The survey was undertaken by a qualified surveyor, and I had a long discussion with him about the work involved. Based on his assessment that the boat was sound, and that most of the work was cosmetic, I paid a realistic price that enabled me to have funds to cover any unforseen obstacles.

All comments are most appreciated, and I do have a work plan that the 40+ items that need to be made good.