PDA

View Full Version : The other way to bill your work...

JMAC
01-27-2006, 09:43 PM
This could get long-winded...last night I went to a show at the Unity Center for the Performing Arts. It was the Jon Jorgensen Quintet. They were a really hot band playing Gypsy Jazz a la Rheinhart/Grappelli. Jon, the guitar player was phenomenal. This morning, my friend that runs the theatre calls and says Jon needs a hole drilled in his guitar, can they come over. So, a bit later, they come by, I get to meet the man, get to drill a 1/2" hole for an end pin jack. The decal on the guitar's headstock declared it to be the Jon Jorgenson model. So anyways, he thanks me, and I say- I am going to have to charge you....a 5 minute jam in Am. He grinned and said sure. I had my Martin in the shop and we sat down and went at it. I can hold my own, but this man smokes! I literally got chills all over hearing our playing blending together. If I only had a camera, a tape recorder...the whole deal was better than a fat check!

Stiletto
01-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Good value for both of you! smile.gif

Hwyl
01-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by JMAC:
...the whole deal was better than a fat chick!Hmmm

JMAC
01-28-2006, 06:32 AM
check, chick....tomato, tomaato...

Ron Williamson
01-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Sometimes I work for beer.
R

ssor
01-28-2006, 08:28 AM
I tell people that I will work for love or money, MY choice!

Bruce Hooke
01-28-2006, 09:04 AM
That's Great!!

ssor
01-28-2006, 09:25 AM
JMAC, did you think to hand him a felt tip pen and ask him to sign your guitar?

JMAC
01-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Nobody, I mean NOBODY is going to take a felt tip to my guitar, it's a Martin D-35 that I bought brand new in 1977. Those were the good old days of High School when I got a big enough tax refund to swing buying it.

R.I.Singer30
01-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I can't top that story.But I love when that kind of things happen.Must be Karma.CARRY ON.. :cool:

JMAC
01-28-2006, 11:05 AM
I believe it was something over $500. I had every intention of buying a Guild Jumbo, but this Martin was on the wall next to it so I thought in fairness I would try it. Rang like a bell so to speak, and I took it home. My brother (RIP) got a new epiphone semi-hollow for christmas back in the 60's. It's still in the family, kind of yellow in color. I traded into a '66 Gibson es-345 in high school and have managed to hang on to it.

Uncle Duke
01-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Congratulations! Nice way to get paid, except that lots of people (me, for example) will have some residual jealousy.
Jon Jorgenson is fantastic and has been for years. He used to play in The Desert Rose Band, with Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson way back in the day. Highest recommendations for his CD "After You've Gone", (with David Grisman and Darol Anger) where he shows his clarinet chops, too. I think he did the playing in some movie about Django also, but I can't remember the name...