PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motors and Gasket sealers

Alan Peck
10-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I just aquired an older (1981) 35 HP Evinrude that I am trying to get into decent running shape.
I have a general question about gasket sealants. Does anyone know when and where they should be used? For example I suspect you would use it for most powerhead gaskets but would use use a sealant on carburetor or water pump gaskets.

Also, I think as a general rule on an outboard that you should use multipurpose grease on all screw and bolt threads. Is that right?

Victor
10-13-2005, 09:36 AM
In many cases you simply cannot assume the gasket will do the job. Lots of shops skip them entirely and just use gasket sealer. This is true for cars and bikes too. For the head gasket, I guess both are called for.

You don't want that motor, Alan. You want to sell it to me.

[ 10-13-2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Victor ]

Old Bingey
10-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Victor is right. The best grease is that horrible blue stuff sold by OMC called "Triple Guard." Don't get it all over yourself. It is hard to get off.

You know as an aside, from reading all this, I hope that isn't an heirloom engine.

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Outboards from the '80's are not "old". There are plenty from the "50's and "60's still running well.
Because outboards are mostly aluminum it is not wise to adopt techniques more suited to a cast iron John Deere.
Aluminum is not hard to break and stripped bolts are waiting for those that are ham fisted.
Anti-sieze compound would be best for threads but if you got grease use grease. Gasket compunds will work if the surfaces involved are smooth and flat. A suitable gasket (even hand made) will accomodate a lot more irregularities.
If this motor is new to you do a compression check first. Compression reading over 100 are exceelent. Once they get around 60 it's rebuild time. All it takes is one waterpump failure to ruin pistons and cylinders. If the state of your waterpump is unknown put a new one in. It's cheap insurance.
Charlie