PDA

View Full Version : Boat / Water Songs

Terry Etapa
11-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm wrapping up an underwater video of scuba diving in the pacific northwest. I need to add a music soundtrack. I was thinking of boating and/or water theme songs...

So far, here is what I've got:
"Days Like This" from Van Morrison's "Days Like This"
"No Mermaid" from Sinead Lohan's "No Mermaid"
"Christian Island" from Gordon Lightfoot's "Gord's Gold Volume II"
"Bend in the Water" by Harry Manx off of "Beautiful, A Tribute to Gordon Lightfoot"
"If I Had a Boat" from Lyle Lovett's "Pontiac"

Any suggestions on songs? Any favorites?

TimH
11-30-2005, 04:53 PM
we all live in a yellow submarine?

TimH
11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
mother ocean by Buffett

Rick Tyler
11-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Interesting question. I assume you've already rejected the shipwreck songs (Wreck of the John B, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald).

Would you be interested in nice water-themed instrumentals composed and played by Mark Knopfler? Try the soundtrack of the movie "Local Hero." ...Or even Handel's "Water Music."

Wooden Ships, Crosby, Stills and Nash
Sloop John B, Beach Boys
Sailing, Christopher Cross
Beyond the Sea, Bobby Darin
La Mer, I don't know who has recorded this -- I'm familiar with the version on the soundtrack of "LA Story"

paladin
11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Jeff, The Muff Diver..
or anything by The Barefoot Man on Grand Cayman...

ssor
11-30-2005, 05:28 PM
sixteen fathoms down. By Burl Ives

Jagermeister
11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
NEIL YOUNG - Midnight On The Bay

Hwyl
11-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Terry Etapa:

"Days Like This" from Van Morrison's "Days Like This"
I'm surprised you didn't choose "Into the mystic"

Put on your sailing shoes/sneaking sally through the alley by Robert Palmer

Dave Hadfield
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm blowing my own horn on this, but I've got one. The lyrics are here
http://www.hadfield.ca/Waltz/Osprey.html

It's about the first powered fishing boat in the upper Great Lakes.

Garrett Lowell
11-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Fanfare by Mouret. Hornpipe movement from Handel's Water Music Suite. Divertimento in D-Menuetto by Mozart. Clair De Lune by DeBussy.
Or for whimsy try, "Deep End", by School of Fish (very appropriate, if I may say it). "Black Water" by the Doobie Brothers. "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s. "No Boat" by Ben Monder and Theo Bleckman. "Bleed Me Blue" by the Underwater. "Air Scuba" by Scuba Suit (off the "Music to chop your chicken to" album, no less!). Jerry Seinfeld did a little stand-up blurb about Scuba diving. And my all-time favorite: "Skip, the one-legged shark diver" by Eric Stone (the whole album, Scuba Tunes, Vol. 1 may be exactly what you're looking for, if levity is the order of the day).

John Turpin
11-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Track down the soundtrack from 'The Aquatic Life with Steve Zissou'

Bill Dodson
12-01-2005, 03:21 PM
There's always Eileen Quinn ( eileenquinn.com (http://www.eileenquinn.com/) ). I think it's her first album, No Significant Features, that has a song about diving called "Rapture Of The Deep".

Bill

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Runrig: "An Ubhal as Airde" and "Mighty Atlantic".
Jethro Tull: "Seal Driver"

N.B. most of the material mentioned is copyright....

[ 12-01-2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: P.I. Stazzer-Newt ]

Ron Williamson
12-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Are you wreck diving?
How about Stan Rogers 'White Squall'?
R

ChuckG
12-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Oh, wreck diving? Mary Ellen Carter, one of my favorites.

cg

Bruce Hooke
12-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Gordon Bok has written and sung tons and tons of sailing related songs. His mostly have to do with boats rather than actual water per se, but that is true of a lot of the suggestions people have been posting...

tidmarsh
12-02-2005, 10:26 AM
"Lost Sailor," "Ship of Fools," and "Jack-a-Roe" by the Grateful Dead; "Handsome Cabin Boy" by Jerry Garcia & David Grisman; "Octopus's Garden" by the Beatles; "Water Song" by Hot Tuna

troutman
12-02-2005, 01:08 PM
They came in late but Stan Rogers and Gordon Bok made it. When that rail goes under in the White Squall I still get goose bumps. What a loss he was. Let me add Ralph McTell's "Summer Girls".

Todd Bradshaw
12-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I've got a whole album of sailor music if you don't mind antique stuff from 1972 (we were young and didn't know any better...) There are a couple of cuts here (the big mp3 files labeled 1972)

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/