PDA

View Full Version : dynel or fiberglass

mariner2k
02-24-2002, 04:52 PM
hello. I'm not far from recovering my plywood deck with ????. So far I plan on: the ever reliable cpes, then epoxy and either glassmat or dynel before applying a nonskid deck. Which one is the better product, or would they both be equal for this application?
thanks, mariner

capt jake
02-24-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi Mariner! My 2 cents worth (note, I put a value on it), It would depend upon several diferent factors,
Strength required by the covering
Do you expect severe impacts to the deck?
Availabilty
Cost
Fiberglass cloth is less expensive and more readily availble locally (generally). The cloth is less resistant to impact than dynell (from what I have heard/read here). I have gathered that the glass coth is somewhat easier to install than dynell, and since you plan on covering it with anti-skid anyway.... I would go with the cloth.
Good luck!
jake smile.gif

mariner2k
02-24-2002, 05:39 PM
hi capt,
just thought i'd respond to your impact question. It is a sailboat deck, so probably just a good wearing surface would apply.
thanks, mariner

capt jake
02-24-2002, 05:52 PM
Personally, I would go for the glass cloth (since you plan on a non-skid anyway). It is less expensive and more readiy available. I think it would be easier to apply. Though others will disagree with me on this. I have looked for dynell locally and got blank stares, though the glass can be found everywhere. So, my personal experience is with glass and not dynell.
Try looking at this. It may shed more light on this for you (or not). http://oneoceankayaks.com/Abrasion.htm
Good Luck smile.gif

[ 02-24-2002, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: capt jake ]

Chris Coose
02-24-2002, 07:01 PM
Did a dynel and West deck on my cat 15 years ago. Four coats of paint later and it still looks new.
I made long lap joints at the plywood butts.
It is a fine non slip deck.
Chris

NormMessinger
02-24-2002, 09:33 PM
I did the deck of Prairie Islander in Dynel based on advice I got here. The idea was to give a texured non-skid surface and the illusion of canvas. It did that. I put two coats of Brightside enamel on it and no further non-skid treatment is necessary. Dynel is, however, the pits to work with compared with glass in my humble opinion.

--norm

videoguy
02-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Norm I gotta go with you I used dynell on the bottom of my 16 footer it's a pain in the butt to work with compared to glass.

capt jake
02-25-2002, 12:21 AM
Mariner, the previous are the ones I rest my case upon!! Thanks, Norm and Videoguy! smile.gif

Andreas Wiese
02-25-2002, 07:09 AM
I have just had the yard cover my ply deck with fibreglass cloth & epoxy - they seemed to think it was the best option..........

Andreas

mariner2k
02-25-2002, 06:54 PM
can anyone suggest a weight or type of fiberglass weave or mat to use over a plywood deck?
thanks,
mariner

capt jake
02-25-2002, 07:28 PM
Hi Mariner! A little more information may be in order here.
How large of an area?
What are we covering? (material ands structure)
You working from plans?
Regards,
Jake smile.gif

mariner2k
02-26-2002, 03:25 PM
capt,
no plans to works from. I'm just removing the old glass/epoxy covering from the deck. The plywood underneath is in perfect condition. Just doing the maindeck area this year. The deck is about 42 ft. long and is a ketch.
thanks, mariner

mariner2k
02-26-2002, 03:27 PM
Andreas, Can you describe your deck construnction?
So far it seems another glass/epoxy may be in the wings. Still tormenting myself over what to use for a non-skid surface.
mariner