PDA

View Full Version : Good day, bad day...

John Bell
09-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Good: Took three different kids sailing for the first time today. Good winds from the SE off of Frances. Lots of fun for all. I've even been asked to help a couple of them get their small boat sailing merit badges. That'll be a fun thing to work on this spring.

I also noticed another sailboat across the cove. It was scow, sort of like a Butterfly only bigger. The guys who were sailing it had no idea what to do. The first clue was that they had the sail (marconi cat rig) tied at the head, tack, and clew, with the luff flying free. First time they got beam to wind, over she goes! I paddled over to them later and suggest it would probably go a lot better if they ran the boltrope up the groove in the mast! Apparently someone had given them the boat this week for free. No kidding?! ;)

Bad: Lost the anchor on the big boat. Snagged her on a sunken log we think. We could drag whatever it was around, but no way we could pull it up. Cut 'er off and hope we can find it when the draw the lake down this winter. Going to be hard to find a new one on tomorrow's holiday, guess we won't go boating.

[ 09-05-2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: John Bell ]

John B
09-05-2004, 11:47 PM
We had a great race ourselves yesterday but there was some good and bad about it too.
We had a slight problem with a kite set. the 2oz small kite we decided to use because we're chickens has a bad bag and somehow the drawstring got loose of it's sleeve, constricted the spinnaker and went up with it :D . so the whole kite was banging around still tied at the bottom but filled at the top ( like when you get a wineglass). Enter John, the man with extremely sharp onehandedopening knife in pocket, standing on the (pulpit and reaching to the absolute maximum ( albiet modest)reach to ping the drawstring.There was this moment in time where I somehow kept the blade in one hand away from the sailcloth, let go the luff foil with the other hand and caught the bag before it went to davy jones.......mwahahahaha.
So unlike your anchor, we kept the lemon of a bag (but it probably would have been better to lose it.)
a bad day on the water is better than a good day on land eh.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Quote by John Bell...."Bad: Lost the anchor on the big boat. Snagged her on a sunken log we think. We could drag whatever it was around, but no way we could pull it up. Cut 'er off and hope we can find it when the draw the lake down this winter. Going to be hard to find a new one on tomorrow's holiday, guess we won't go boating."

It's bad to lose an anchor but you did the right thing by cutting the line. A 22 year old friend of my step son drowned while trying to free an anchor in Lake Erie a few weeks back. He jumped in without a PFD on and the current pulled him away from the boat. His partner jumped in without a PFD also, to try to help him and had to be rescued by the Coast Guard, after 2 hours in the water. :(