PDA

View Full Version : "Perfect Storm" sister ship rescued

brian.cunningham
11-22-2002, 03:35 PM
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/1801067/detail.html

BOSTON -- The crew on the sister ship of the boat lost in the so-called "Perfect Storm" was rescued by the Coast Guard after engine problems left it disabled and adrift about 150 nautical miles off Cape Cod.

The five-man crew of the Hannah Boden was picked up by the Coast Guard cutter Reliance at about 10 p.m. on Thursday night. No one was injured.

The Hannah Boden is the sister ship of the Andrea Gail, which sank during a vicious storm in October 1991.

The story of the Gloucester-based boat and its crew - including the Hannah Boden's effort to assist them - was the topic of a best-selling book and movie, both called "The Perfect Storm."

On Thursday, the crew of the Hannah Boden radioed the Coast Guard at about 1 p.m. to report a cracked engine block and water in the cylinder head.

The Coast Guard planned to tow the boat to Nantucket Sound on Friday, from where it will be taken to Fairhaven.

Dave Fleming
11-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Just contacted a fellow shipwright back on the Cape and he knows the owner of the vessel and he comment was that the fellow is usually very good at staying ahead of the maintainance issue on the Boden. Which in my experience is not always the case with fishing boat owners.
My correspondent says she will probably be back out on the grounds in a week or so.

brian.cunningham
11-22-2002, 10:13 PM
Is that a single or a twin engine boat?

I can't imagine going that far out on a single...

Art Read
11-22-2002, 10:25 PM
Most of 'em have been going out on one engine for years and years. 'Course these are the same stock of folks who regularly went fishing on Georges' in February, even BEFORE engines, and then put off to long line, in the fog, in their DORIES...

mmd
11-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Yep, most of 'em in my region are single engine boats, too.

nedL
11-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Don't know if I've ever seen a twin screw commercial boat (that hasn't been converteed from something else).

tjdono
11-26-2002, 01:11 PM
99.9% Of the fleet here in Half Moon Bay, CA is single engined. Diesels. The average maintenance during the season is less than ideal, though.... If its a leak and the fix would lose em a day fishing......throw another bilge pump in..we'll fix er later!
Even with this attitude...very few rescues by the USCG... the fleet takes care of their own.

Bayboat
11-26-2002, 03:26 PM
At the time of the Andrea Gail's loss the Hanna Boden had a lady skipper named Linda Greenlaw, who wrote a book about her experiences in swordfishing ("The Hungry Ocean"}. She later took up lobstering around Isle la Haute, Maine, and wrote another book about that ("The Lobster Chronicles").