PDA

View Full Version : Ice yacht questions...

Joe Dupere
11-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Off and on now for a couple of years now I've been mulling over the idea of trying some ice sailing. I've never done it before so I don't know where to start. I have found many web pages devoted to ice-boat racing, but I'm not really interested in that. At least not yet. What I'd like to do is narrow down the search somewhat and see if I can find a basic 'idiot's guide to ice sailing' type of book, and plans for an inexepensive ice boat, just so I can get my feet
wet, (or frostbit), and see if I really like it
or not without putting out hundreds of dollars for a racing boat. Are there any iceboaters out there who can point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Joe.

Nicholas Carey
11-10-2002, 02:36 AM
Check out the DN-class ice boats. DN stands for the Detroit News, the newspaper that commissioned the design back in the '30s. It was intended to be home built.

And while you can get all hot, heavy and hi-tech with a DN, you can also just build it the way they did back then.

Plan (and, I believe, irons) are available from the class association. Google for "DN class ice boat" should probably do it. Zot me an email if you can't find the class assoction and I can probably dig them up.