PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

Wild Dingo
11-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Im gonna go hunt up the missing Pearl Lugger thats supposed to be hangin out around here which I cant find but TonyH reckons its located about ohhh... half a flamin mile from me front flamin door!! and wheres Tony? ohhhh only in New South Wales clear accross the country!... Ive been trying to find "Buccleuch" for him for some time after he let me know she was supposed to be here after sinking in Mandurah waters... so after getting blank looks weird glares and shaking heads from all and sundry... heres Tony in NSW says "oh Shane mate shes located just up the flamin road from you!!"... cor bloody blimey mates!... talk about feel like the royal galah amongst the eagle hawks!... so anyway Im gonna get my butt into the car tomorrow and go find this baby!! that is unless shes become barbie wood! :eek:

{Ive had a secret lush for Luggers for donkeys years but hey I cant tell you fellas and sheilas that cause well its a bit of a local secret! :D }

Oh and Tony old mate that pic you sent of me standin on the shore... tis a worry mate I didnt realize you was photographin me!! else I would smiled! :D maybe we should post that one and then everyone can know just what the blazes Im yammerin me fingers about??? huh whacha reckon mate? tongue.gif

Anyway cameras loaded and in the glovebox and a pad and pencil along with a couple of rules and tape measures and by gar ifn ah gets me way ah'll be all over that thar lugger by crickey! ...Will reports back capn...

Take it easy
Shane

Alan D. Hyde
11-22-2002, 01:50 PM
Good luck!

No doubt you'll run into the famous twins again.

Keep us posted.

Alan

Wild Dingo
11-23-2002, 12:52 AM
Tony check your email mate!!!

I went... wandered about like a lost sheep up and down this flamin road no boats anywhere... then I saw this dark shape behind the bushes way off the road... I peered I yelped "Thats the lady Im after!" then raced over through the tangle of brush and trees that obscure her form... then I staggered and jiggered shook me head in total disbelief... finally had a goggle eye sticky beak at as much as I could considering her state and the fact that she was well hidden way back in behind some Banksias and Tuart gums... but by gar I found the thing!!

I ended up catching up with the fella who owns her and... well he reckons hes gonna do her up and sail away... mmmmm 5 years under the drink another 5 hitched and roped together proped and tied in the scrub and some seriass holes in her bow region... from what I could see from jamming me noggin through the same said holes there arnt many frames that are in one bit or even in some bits longer than 3 inches!... many planks have popped and are now tied into shape with some rope... her stern counter would have been something else in her day but just now its a mess of rotten and sprung boards... didnt get to go topside as the fella reckons shes a bit of a disaster up there... I believe him!! seriously I believe this fella... disaster being what one could consievably call a tad of an understatement!... but I havent given up yet!!

Im trying to track down another fella who is helping the owner work on her... mmmmm didnt see much evidence of work but what the hey? they wanna call it work thats fine by me! :D ...Anyway Ive left a message and will give him another ring later today... apparently this fella has done a fair amount of research on her and some of the others you were after Tony so could be a bit of a boon meeting I reckon if I can nail him down that is!

Will see what hes got and what the story is with her try to cadge some before photos and maybe some lines??? wouldnt that be something!!! :cool:

Oh ****e near forgot!! The fella that built her was named Scott built in Broome 1955... guessing here just now but appears to be Jarrah hulled could be wrong as well she doesnt lend itself to giving away anything much... but will know more later...

Gawd its sad to see one of these in such an appalling state!... never mind Phil the owner reckons hes gonna rebuild her back to her former self and sail away... 5 years already... sigh... oh the motor is in bits the booms and rig is in the roof of his workshop gathering dust etc while the mast or half of it anyway is layin on the ground next to her in the scrub.

What a treat!!! been searching for her and mate I tell yer I would never have found her without your giving me the name of the road and little Joshy needing that whizz at just that moment! :cool:

More to come!!!

Will try to get the photo up in a few...

Take it easy
Shane

Thad
11-23-2002, 12:58 AM
Somebody was just saying "Where is the Dingo?" and I was saying to myself he's off in the house repair, and here you shows up off finding a wood boat in the woods with all the trimmings. Carry on.

Wild Dingo
11-23-2002, 01:25 AM
Mate! This house crud is downright depressing!! so I gots ta gets me out an aboot right? and what better way than chasing old luggers around the scrub on a bright sunny day?? :cool:

Okay snappers from Tony... {will get the ones taken today developed Monday}

Galton...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p0abad3c738d9ebba1b091e42c0c3806a/fd041973.jpg

Lugger D56 or 57...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p2167c9358b4928dffbaa9ef522de39fc/fd041976.jpg

Okay then heres the original... see thats me in the forground!!! HEY THERE YER DRONGO!!!... mmmmm maybe not as the pic does seem just a tad older than me good self but could be some relie way back when? depends on where and when it was tooken... Tony??

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p81e49f96022e347f5e1827b066c33801/fd041ab8.jpg

And one final one...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p3730c16e864f33efd361c2b664443809/fd041ab5.jpg

As I said busy busy just now so will get the ones in the camera developed on Monday and post them soon as! ;)

Now I just gotta go hunt me some hoon!!! :D ...Dang the dagnabit wabbits ah wants hoon...

Take it easy
Shane

Wild Dingo
11-23-2002, 01:56 AM
Oaky mates just had a quick yarn with this fella Bernie and am gonna go meet up with him at 6.30 tonight as hes buggaring of up to Broome for 18 months tomorrow!... so if I want to have a yarn with someone who has and knows all there is to know about them I better get me bum over there... he reckons hes got masses of shuff hes more than willing to share info photos and owners details of quite a few luggers... Including all those you were after Tony...

A storehouse and goldmine of info!!...

Apparently what I saw today was the beautification of the hull!!! this fellas been workin on her for over a year and has managed to get her looking better than when she was dragged out of the water... man it sure musta been a mess then if this is beautification! :eek: :D

Anyway... will be gathering info and putting together something to send to Scot and Matt maybe get an article together or something for our hosts... thats if they want it of course :rolleyes: ... HA!! knowing them fellas they'll be grinning all over their dials to get some international input!... so what do yer reckon fellas? you want something on Aussie Pearl Luggers??... well we will see what I can come up with... Bernie and Phil the owner are real chuffed that Im thinking about doing it... and pleased as all heck that someone wants to know about these once beautiful work boats... so no worries! :cool:

This is more fun that unpackin boxes I can tell yer for a fact!!! :D

Take it easy
Shane

Wild Dingo
11-23-2002, 11:43 AM
Okay done and done mate!

Bernie turned out way more interesting than expected pretty forthcoming with info but not so with photos and lines etc other than to look at so none to share at this time...

Ive sent an email covering everything Tony {yep to the origami email address too so you dont have to wait! :D } and will now include much of it here... {I admit to some editing here and there :eek: }

>Well I finally got back from visiting Bernie regarding "Buccleuch" {apparently said "Barkley" by the way} after over 3 hours of yarning with him... talk about obsessed!!! wow! this guy is way out there mate! Great bloke but really sunk about her.
>
>Prior to meeting him tonight this is what I got from viewing her hull and meeting the owner...
>
>Shes stuffed... to say derelect is a bit of a misnomer... shes holed both sides of the bow... her stern counter is holed... from peering through said holes the deck appeared to be almost non existant although some decking was still in place it was that thin light could be seen through... over three quarters of her deckhouse is gone... there is no caulking whatever between the planks... many of the planks had sprung and were being held to the frames by rope windlasses and blocking... many frames and knees were totally gone or missing over half their width or length... half her mast is gone and the half that is laying on the dirt next to her is rotted by white ant...
>
>Okay that was as I saw her... now on meeting the owner, nice fella was my impression he has taken her booms and some rigging and stored them in the overhead gantries of his business workshop in town... the motor is a lump of rusted metal in a corner of the same workshop... His comments were that he still intends to restore her and sail away.
>
>Now what follows is a condenced version of what Bernie {Bernie is the only person to have laid fingers or tools to her since she was raised over 5 years ago apparently no verification but I tend to believe this fella} would give me at the first meeting...
>
>She was the last of the 30 built post war.
>
>She was the winner of the 2 last Lugger races held in Broome in the 80s
>
>She is Jarrah planked and Karri Keel and timbers with Oregon spars... initially had an old single cylinder engine in her changed in 1970s for a 120HP Volvo.
>
>She was a bit of an interesting build in that her stem and stern are to John Aldens design while the rest was traditional Qld Lugger.
>
>She sank in Dolphin Pool Mandurah in 1992
>
>She was built one plank higher and 2 planks wider than others of the fleet.
>
>She had her decks raised in 1972 or 73.
>
>58ft on deck 70 overall and 16ft beam draws 4-5ft.
>
>Her divers booms extended 15ft either side of her hull and they would dive while she was sailing or powering at 1.5 - 3 knots.
>
>At her peek she had a crew of 9... 4 divers, 2 dive tenders 2 deckies and a cook.
>
>She was built in 1957 for a Wally Scott by one Silky Quan... Broome boatbuilder now believed to be living Darwin.
>
>Shes been derelect for 10 years spending 5 underwater and 5 above.
>
>Gaff rigged with steadying Jib
>
>57 of her planks were replaced prior to her sailing to Perth by present owner.
>
>Previous owner was a Alan Nunn who owned her for 12 years sailing out of Broome in the Pearl trade.
>
>Now thats it for the info on the "Buccleuch" but he also went into a fair bit of info on the Kim {now a Darwin based tourist venture}, the Cornelius {her mast is now on the Ida Loyd in Fremantle the rest unknown}, the Centurion {in Sydney he and derelect he thought}, the Rose F {Freo}, the Ida Loyd {Freo} the Panama {Freo} and the Willie {in Broome on her way to Perth}... mate this guy was a walking talking total lugger nut! he has photos and plans lines videos and notes coming out his ears on his walls floor and tables flamin luggers everywhere!!... I tend to believe him when he said it had taken over his life for the last 2 years! As a counsellor Ive seen obsessions mate and hes obsessed totally.
>
>
What he was saying was backed up with the documents and letters he showed me so he knows his stuff by crickey!... anyway he wants to take me up to meet Alan Nunn her longest previous owner {12 years} who knows her story inside out and other general lugger stuff apparently he was a diver and owner for many years...
>
>
>He also seems to have a wealth of experience of the history of the Broome Pearl industry as related to the lugger and its evolution which could be of interest...
>
>Anyway mate thats it for now as Im now luggered up for now and need to catch some zzzzzs... but we will see what else eventuates... he does have quite a few photos of Flavio in Albany and some of the Rose F he didnt seem to know much about the Maisie... hopefully as he gets to know me he will at least let me scan them then I can shoot them over to you! If my scanner gets its ass into order and works again this flamin move has given it the heebeegeebies and its chucking a sook just now...
>
>

So now I need to get my act together and try to order my jumbled notes into some semblance of sence buy myself a tape deck so I can keep pace with the conversation! and get some of the photos scanned... this will make an aweflaminsome article in woodenboat magazine I reckon!! :cool:

Anyway for now Im zonkered and heading for some much needed kip mates

Take it easy
Shane

[ 11-23-2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

imported_Steven Bauer
11-23-2002, 02:31 PM
That would be so cool to have an article in WB authored by our own W.D. :D
Those boats are beautiful. Why not build one of those instead of a Coaster? I'm sure Tony would help.
Steven

Wild Dingo
11-23-2002, 09:14 PM
mmmmmm funny you should say that Steven mate :rolleyes: ... my mind has taken a somewhat demented turn in that direction :eek: ... I know there are plans with lines and offsets out there somewhere so now Im awaitin on me ol mate TonyH to direct me where... he knows he does! ;) ...Big wide and mmmmm purty they sure is :rolleyes: ... I just gotta keep the emotion outta this else Id end up like Bernie taken in by a hull rotted by neglect and left to die in the sun amid the scrub weeds snakes and away from the water...

Anyway there were apparently 3 incarnations of the luggers of Broome "Buccleuch" being the final rendition... as I get the info together I will let you fellas know.

Theres a heck of a lot of rich history as Tony can attest to about these vessels and what they did both as Pearl Luggars and as other work/pleasure boats... Tony probably has {HA at this stage anyway! :D } more info than I as Im only just getting a real look in at these... I reckon there is just as much a story about the actual people as the boats themselves some real charecters {sp?} among these fellas! :cool:

When I develop the photos you will be able to "see" her among the debris of her present state standing she still has a small amount of the pride of the fleet that stood her in stead in the warm Kimberley waters but now she is only a mere shadow tucked away among the bush hidden forever and soon to be lost forever to history... mind you the emotional can easily take over the logical with regard "Buccleuch" the finest of the fleet.

Take it easy
Shane

jagstar
07-15-2012, 06:56 AM
wild dingo are you out there need your help with a lugger

Vince Brennan
07-15-2012, 07:28 AM
You might find him faster on facebook... the Dingo rarely graces our pages with his unintelligibleness any more.

skuthorp
07-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Evening Shane. Good to see you about. There is a tourist charter lugger over that way, 'Intombi'.
http://www.broomelugger.com/

Stiletto
07-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Did you guys look at the date on Shane's post?