PDA

View Full Version : The P Class Herreshoff

Paul
11-19-2002, 04:01 PM
The last WB featured this beautifully restored gaff rigged Herreshoff. The article said the owner preferred not to have his name mentioned. I was thumbing through the new SAILING magazine the other day and guess what, it was carrying an article on the P-Class and had all kinds of information regarding her owner, including pictures. Not a big deal, I just thought this was odd. Why SAILING and not WB for the bio mystery?

JimD
11-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Paul, this was pointed out in a thread last week. I thought the controversial part of the article was the owner's decision to fiberglass sheath the boat, a decision I might agree with but I can see why the traditionalist would question the pragmatism...quite the vessel, though
jimd

John B
11-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Glassed! egad.
can't wait to read that article. How come this boat has a topsail?. I thought they just plain didn't have them.

John B
11-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Yerrrs. a bit customised with a very tall top panel in the mast compared to that original drawing so as to make a shorter yard. Must have just wanted a topsail to play with eh.( I know the feeling)
Did any P boats have topsails originally does anyone know?

True Love
11-22-2002, 11:34 AM
John B -

Did a search on the P Class on the internet and came up with this calendar which has a photo (but of course, they don't showcase the P class at this link but you might could find the calendar): http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailing_Breezes_Current/Other_Reviews/2001calendar.htm

John B
11-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Thanks TL. I've seen photos of them before and admired the efficiecy of the rig and how advanced they were for their time.sloop rig.., big main .. no topsail. I think a book I have has some good photos of one . "Wood Water and light" ( I mean... I think it's that book with the photos)