PDA

View Full Version : WHEW it turns over!

Lowell Bernhardt
11-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Just another small mile stone in the motor log. After tinkering this weekend, I thought that the motor may be seized. I guess that I just wasn't man enough to pull the cord and make it turn over. ( yeah I guess that I'll admit to that after all howmany of you can pull start a 70HP lawnmower? ;) )

Anyway I removed the lower unit and the unit turns very hard. I would have to guess that the grease, if any, that is in it is probably the consistancy of, well,, hard grease?

After this I still couldn't get the flywheel to turn. So I put the 1/2" ratchet on it and VIOLA! SHE TURNS!!! I'm going to run a compression test sometime this week before I get into any real money spent. But so far so good. I've even found a dealer that has parts. DOUGRUSSELL MARINE. The wiring will be the first thing to go. The main internal wiring harness is starting to show it's age. ALOT of wiring loosing its insulation.

Stay tuned, this weekend we may get to see if it'll actually combust some gas.

Lowell

Shang
11-12-2002, 06:41 AM
Courage!

Bob Adams
11-12-2002, 10:08 AM
The water pump impeller can make the lower unit input shaft quite stiff. Also, if she has sat for some time, you might want to put some Kroil in the cyls to loosen up the rings in the grooves. I have a saying, if it will turn over, it WILL run!

Lowell Bernhardt
11-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the votes of confidance guys!

I'm going to electrical tape the wires that have bad insulation for the immediate future. After I see if the motor will fire then I'll start replacing all the electrical components.

Kroil? Never heard of it. Can you pirchase it at the local auto parts store? Hit all six cylinders with the WD40 pretty good. I think it turns a little easier every day.

Thanks, Lowell