PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong w/ this???

David Tabor (sailordave)
11-10-2002, 10:36 AM
A few months ago the credit union at work had a poster up promoting some loan product; had the PC diverse crowd in the cockpit of a sailboat (w/ PFD's) and the theme was something like let us help you set sail blahblahblah. The poster had an inset picture (see below) and I looked at it a couple of times and thought something was wrong aside from the obvious danger to digits. Finally figured it out. Guess the copy editor wasn't a sailor...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/pdba364b41781e7e377dbd3be58d5d22a/fd0fbbe6.jpg

[ 11-10-2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: David Tabor (sailordave) ]

Charlie J
11-10-2002, 10:51 AM
no picture- says Sorry- you are trying to access a picture from outside Imagestation

David Tabor (sailordave)
11-10-2002, 05:10 PM
THERE we go, it shows up NOW!

Ross Faneuf
11-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Guess you're going to have to tell me...

Chris Coose
11-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Of course my rig had been around about 100 years before these rigs came on deck, but I have yanked rope through a few of them. I remember being told that you only needed 3 wraps before going to the top. If the crew were yarding in on the sheet, a handle might be useful at this point.
But I'm thinking this winch works with the line wrapped clockwise.

rodcross
11-10-2002, 05:34 PM
That's funny.

Good observation!

paladin
11-10-2002, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking the photo got flipped.....

Scott Rosen
11-10-2002, 05:39 PM
You mean aside from the fact that it's a starboard winch and the sheet is for the port side? LOL

Too many turns.

Chris Coose
11-10-2002, 05:41 PM
I think paladin got it because I got set back by the direction of the fins set into the the self-tending mechanism on top.

John B
11-10-2002, 06:48 PM
just wound on the wrong way isn't it.plus a bit of a general cockup.
When I came back on the Coastal classic a couple a weeks ago and we hit 40 knots on the last couple of miles up the harbour guess what smart John did to the boys. Yup.. override! We had to lead the sheet over to the windward one to drag it off. The knife was out and ready. It ( the winch)was about7ft across and 5 ft up at the time.

Interesting about winches. All the moderns load clockwise. Creates hell with your coamings/ spray dodgers etc but it's intuitive to load them. Then you get someone like me....My old murrays are set up symetrical to the boat IE outside leading in. It's like changing from a car with the turn indicator stlk on the other side of the wheel. there's a period where you just can't get it right.

Bruce Hooke
11-12-2002, 10:40 AM
Reminds me of a time when I came across a computer magazine with a big headline on the cover that said "Forge the New NT". The cover picture behind this headline was a nice graphic of someone casting the letters 'NT'! :rolleyes: :D :D

John of Phoenix
11-12-2002, 01:36 PM
The line is threaded outside the self-tailing guide?

[ 11-12-2002, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: John Teetsel ]

Bgriff
11-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Aside from the too many wraps, isn't that top wrap supposed to be through, or under, the handle mechanism on the top? Hard for me to see w/o my glasses.

Ian McColgin
11-12-2002, 02:40 PM
Nah - it's just south of the equator and the winches obey the Coreolous Effect.

David Tabor (sailordave)
11-12-2002, 03:21 PM
No, it's just that modern winches load clockwise and this one is led counterclockwise; a classic case of the copy editor not knowing squat about what they were looking at! And for the size line and obviously being a sheet, it probably does have a couple wraps too many, but hey, you got to LOOK good and the coloring was more important!!! :D At least the editor can claim ignorance unlike the photos I've seen that have actual LETTERING in them; no excuse there!!

Don't even get me started on the placement of the hand w/ all those digits just begging to get strangled!! It never ceases to amaze me how many people I come across that have been "sailing for years" and yet still don't know how to load a winch, put wraps on or take them off while under load (safely), and when racing, ease a line by just letting it out meaning the sail lurches and jumps and spills air...
Grrrr. I better quit now before I start ranting about safety... :mad:

Joe Dupere
11-12-2002, 03:56 PM
Why're they using braided nylon for a lawn mower
starter? :D And if it's that wet, why are they mowing the yard anyway?? :D

John B
11-12-2002, 04:47 PM
You can imagine how stupid I felt when I got that override. It only happened because it was windy And I thought I'd put an extra turn on. Still... no pressure. there was this big ship docked 200 metres away in front of us. 200 metres doesn't happen very fast on a little old sailing yacht.

NOT.