PDA

View Full Version : Wood Hardener

Huey
02-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi Folks,

Anyone ever use Minwax Wood Hardener for treating soft spots on there boat? How does it compare to CPES or other products?

nsphilip
12-10-2014, 10:15 AM
First time the search helped me find exactly what I was looking for! ...now if only there were replies to the question...

Peerie Maa
12-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Hard to say, the website tells you nothing about the chemistry of the materiel, so there is little to go on, however: http://archive.makezine.com/pub/tool/Minwax_High_Performance_Wood_Hardener

nsphilip
12-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Peerie!

jpatrick
12-10-2014, 11:49 AM
I've not used the stuff on a boat but I have used it around the house. Most notably on an exterior oak door threshold. This was on my aunt's house in So. Calif. It was getting pretty punky and I needed a quick fix without having to replace the whole thing. The wood hardener did exactly what the can says it will do. I then painted the threshold. So I would think that at least above the waterline it ought to do as well on a boat. Overcoating with paint or varnish would be important I think.

That said, a can of cpes isn't all that much money. And many people have faith in it (including myself).

Jeff

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-10-2014, 11:54 AM
The big part of CPES is it is very weather resistant once coated with a UV protected finish, such as paint or varnish. It also strengthens the weakened wood. If you have some really soft stuff, dig it out and put in a piece of replacement wood. This is a little harder if the area is finished bright, but you can only use CPES for small areas of rot. It is a great sealer for larger areas, and a good primer.

nsphilip
12-10-2014, 12:05 PM
thanks, everyone! I'm looking for a wood hardener for western red cedar because it's so soft. I'd like to finish my project bright, so I'd like to get a hardener on it before I epoxy and glass the exterior.

Peerie Maa
12-10-2014, 12:10 PM
hang on, Are you applying this to the exterior and then glassing. Or glassing the exterior and looking for something for the interior?

You will not need anything under the glass on the outside. CPES will do for the inside, then there is no worries about incompatibility where the two chemicals meet.

nsphilip
12-10-2014, 12:22 PM
that was the idea. I just want the wood to be harder than it is unfinished. I guess you love you for that but I thought maybe something a little extra.

nsphilip
12-10-2014, 12:23 PM
well, shoot. I didn't specify. I'm looking for something to harden the wood inside and outside.

Peerie Maa
12-10-2014, 12:35 PM
well, shoot. I didn't specify. I'm looking for something to harden the wood inside and outside.

The glass epoxy does that for the outside, so you only need to worry about the inside.

nsphilip
12-10-2014, 12:44 PM
got it.any recommendation for the inside?

Peerie Maa
12-10-2014, 03:27 PM
got it.any recommendation for the inside?

Go with CEPS, then you will not have any worries about a bad reaction where the two finishes meet.