PDA

View Full Version : Wheeeee! First storm of the winter.

ACB
10-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Eighty miles per hour. Wonder if (a) boat is still on mooring - she certainly should be, renewed mooring, heroically oversized, two years ago and (b) whether cockpit cover and sail covers are still on boat!

ishmael
10-27-2002, 03:27 PM
Envious. I love a good storm.

Dave Fleming
10-27-2002, 04:07 PM
ACB, ya done ya best correct? That's all youse can do. Check her when ya can. Meanwhile, a good book, a dram or two and a nice fire would seem to be in order. ;)

martin schulz
10-28-2002, 04:06 AM
First storm???

Yesterday has been the 3rd time I have been called in the middle of the night to come down to the Museumharbour to help refasten all the ships and to look for potential problems (I mean - last year we had a 30ton ex fishing-trawler sunk). But it is like a nice come-together. Everybody comes down to the harbour to help and when everything seems secure we meet in our "Watchhouse" to have some non-alkoholic (just kidding) drinks.

The problem is everytime I have been called this year I was 80miles away at my girlfriends place.
This Storm (Sunday/Monday) was so bad it nearly drove all of the water out of the "Förde" (Bay).

A good thing I put my boot somewhere else on Friday because of a bad feeling. The berth I usually have my boat in had about 1meter of water left - and I thought I was living in a nice quite tide-free Baltic city.

ACB
10-28-2002, 05:31 AM
Yes, Martin, quite a "seiche", (have I gotthat term right?) was'nt it? here, on the west side of the North Sea, I should say we were maybe one foot (0.3 metres) below usual low water level.

Better that than 1953, though.

[ 10-28-2002, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: ACB ]

martin schulz
10-28-2002, 07:17 AM
Do you mean shallow=seicht?

1953 - You guys are soooo old here in this forum I can hardly believe I am talking to you Granpa's.

Has there ever been an enquiry who is oldest and who is youngest in this forum?

ACB
10-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Martin. Yes I think I did mean "Seiche" - an abnormally low sea level caused by weather conditions. I was one year old in 1953, and of course I remember that "storm surge" (the opposite - abnormally high sea level) perfectly!

Bruce Hooke
10-28-2002, 01:02 PM
This storm made our newspaper here. Apparently it killed a number of people across Europe...mostly as a result of trees falling on them.

ACB
10-28-2002, 03:29 PM
Well, it flicked the tail of the mainsheet off the boom gallows, where it was coiled, and into the water, and shook the boarding ladder, which I keep hooked over a ratline, onto the deck.

Some other boats went ashore....

John B
10-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Snug as a bug then. great.

ishmael
10-28-2002, 06:37 PM
Someone once said to the effect, "Chance favors the prepared." Glad you were prepared.

ACB
10-29-2002, 06:11 AM
'Mirelle' is snug; her owner is smug!

Of course, I feel sorry for people having to retrieve their boats, or the pieces of them, and much more sorry for the relatives of people who were killed (three, in this immediate area). 100,000 people round here still without electricity, this morning, and the trains will apparently be back to normal tomorrow!

Alan D. Hyde
10-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Andrew, one thing that irritates me a bit about storm reporting around here is that the newsreaders or reporters will say "the storm has tracked harmlessly out to sea" or something similar.

As though there were no commercial vessels, fishing craft, or yachts that would be affected...

We were once a maritime nation, but, sadly, are no longer.

Alan

martin schulz
10-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Just read the Newspaper from "Wismar" (former East-Germany, at the Baltic). I was interessted because I stayed there 2 days in a storm this summer and spend one whole night standing outside on the pier shoving my boat away from it in bad squalls. The port there is wide open to storms from the Northwest and in the "old harbour" there is quite a wave then.

And - it is as I thought. The Newspaper reported 3 yachts sunk and a 2 Mast Trad.-Boat sunk also. They rocked up and down so hard they hit the pier so hard that finally the hull broke open.