PDA

View Full Version : Damn. Ouch.

Kermit
10-11-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm typing this slowly without the use of my right index finger. It's not the slip that got me, it was the involuntary reaction to pull back.

I was clearing chips from the square chisel in the mortising machine--it was NOT running. My right hand slipped and plunged downward, and I jerked it back up and caught just the right index finger on a corner of the newly shaprened chisel. Opened up the back of the right index finger and cut the extensor (it that right? the straightening one...) tendon.

Good ER doc put me back together, and I get to wear this splint and bandage for a while. No finger pickin', bagpipe playing, tin whistling, or boat building for a while. And it WOULD be my trigger finger... :rolleyes:

Careful lads and lassies, even a machine NOT running can get you. And show no remorse whatsoever. :mad: :( :mad:

ssor
10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Hide don't bother them machines none!
Sooner or later we all get nicked. If we get to keep all the pieces together we are lucky.
Hope everything heals properly. :eek:

Alan D. Hyde
10-11-2005, 12:59 PM
There's much to be said for wearing gloves while doing such jobs...

Hard luck. :(

Hope you heal quickly, Kermit.

Alan

Kermit
10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
I WUZ usin' a stick. It wuz when me hand slipped offen it... :(

I have learnt that I'm just as good port-sided with chopsticks. :D

[ 10-11-2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Kermit ]

John Meachen
10-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap.The advice about wearing a glove is good but be very careful with gloved fingers around machines which are running.I know somebody who wasn't and lost part of a finger when the glove was grabbed.

Billy Bones
10-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I've always cut myself worse with stopped machinery than with running. (knocks on wood)

And gloves...wellllll, they can cause different sorts of injuries.

Heal and be well.

Rick Tyler
10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
My sympathies. I have a scar and a permanent numb spot on my right index finger to remind me that a table saw is still dangerous even when the power is turned off and the blade has almost stopped spinning.

- Rick

ishmael
10-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Gloves!? ;)

Oh damn, I hate it when tendons muddle the picture. I opened the knuckle on my left index finger once, with a nice sharp chisel. I'm sure the tendons were cut, but no doc, just a splint for a week. It healed nicely, hardly ever bothers me now.

Sorry you hurt yourself. It happens. Usually when we're in a hurry; sometimes out of ignorance; sometimes it just happens.

I've never thought of one of those mortising chisels as very dangerous, running or not, but anything with an edge will bite in the right circumstance. Silly, stupid stuff we just kick ourselves for afterward. Why DID I jerk my hand back?

Slow down, heal well.

htom
10-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Take your pain meds as required (enough so that you don't re-damage by flinching), do the exercises when it's that time, and heal well.

You can shoot fine without using your first finger. You might even shoot better! (Your body hasn't learned when the trigger will break using that finger, so you're less likely to flinch just a little bit, if you do so.

Kermit
10-11-2005, 04:57 PM
You've seen me shoot? :D

Jamie Hascall
10-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Dang Kermit, don't do things like that! I know how you feel having recently taken off a little bit of finger tip with a kitchen knife. My banjo playing hasn't gotten back to normal yet but I figure if I if I just keep at it and grit my teeth, maybe that area will grow back with a few less nerves :( .

May you heal quickly and learn to hold on to that stick.

Jamie

merlinron
10-12-2005, 08:36 PM
ouch!... i didn't feel a thing :D . i know your pain. i have a right index finger that has no second knuckle, lost it to a 6" jointer many moons ago. i tell you, when that sort of thing happens, you get this, "ok, you s.o.b., you're not gonna get me again", attitude about using that machine everytime you approach it.
funny thing about wood working, it seems to fall outside the normal curve of injury incedense, the longer you do it, the higher the odds get that a machine is going to get you.
heel quickly...

LLaver
10-12-2005, 08:45 PM
the most painful hand injury I have ever had was from a disc sander, I was sanding the side of a thin piece of timber when it flipped and jambed all eight of my finger tips down into the nice fresh 80 grit disc.
It sanded the tips of my fingers off at an angle of about 45 degrees, on the worst fingers it sanded about half the length of my fingernails away.
Of course our wood work teacher insisted I put my hands under the tap and wash the blood away AAAAAAAAAArgh!
Fourtunately there was no lasting injury.

Lee

capt jake
10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
No finger pickin', bagpipe playing, tin whistling, or boat b... Or nose pickin' either! :D On the other end of the spectrum, I hope you are left handed....or you will soon learn to be. :D ;) ;)

Yup, been there dun that own. smile.gif cut several tendons years ago, took a darned long time to get the range of motion back, but it was also in a joint closer to the hand.

Sorry to hear of your accident. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

[ 10-12-2005, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: capt jake ]