PDA

View Full Version : some boat forensics.

John B
09-21-2004, 04:14 PM
This launch down at the yard is called Ngaroma. she's early 1900's and she has done some hard service fishing over the years by the looks of her.
The owner has been stripping her back and as you can see , exposed her first name and some nice art nouveau( I think) carving.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/p6790d8632772468cb57687f06c5023a3/f6f72619.jpg

John B
09-21-2004, 05:13 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p35a13e887abcef4ae27dc1b17db02598/f6eda6cd.jpg

Jase
09-21-2004, 11:21 PM
still not a bad looker for all that hard fishing smile.gif

some cute little launches over at Devonport on the hard at the moment too smile.gif good time of the year for perving at old boats....

John B
09-21-2004, 11:41 PM
How is the rudder job going Jase. I never did back over there.Pain, because I really would like a good look at how she's assembled in that area.

Jase
09-21-2004, 11:55 PM
well the rudder stock is all better now, should be re-fitted this sunday, the last 2 sundays have been flat out removing engine, sanding hull and deck, de-moulding all the inside, de-greasing under the engine and cleaning out the limber holes etc... lots to do yet b4 this yrs racing starts.... I feel very old most mondays these days... have to go back to work for a rest....

John B
09-22-2004, 12:01 AM
We're doing the same. Motor's out,shaft, stuffing box and tube is out and Kirsty should have got some topcoat in there today. New mounts are coming.
Oh, and I'm cutting the keel off.

Jase
09-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I saw that and pondered why smile.gif we have to remove the stuffing box as well because some electrolysis in there turned all the screws to powder, makes for very leaky box smile.gif I'll take the digicam this weekend and poke it into the rudder hole if you like smile.gif any requests... :D

John B
09-22-2004, 12:20 AM
What I was curious about was this. When I looked up into the thing , to the inside of the boat,it looked like there was extra clearance in the 'tube'above the waterline.Is that there all the time or has that section of the tube( I don't know what else to call it) been removed so you could drop the rudder.( I know they made in 2 pieces so they could do that.)
so yeah. love to see some pics from in and around there.

checking the bolts( good, excellent , choice), re bedding the lead.
but you can tell anyone and everyone that John B is cutting the keel off. ;)
I just love it when the boomerang comes back to me.

[ 09-22-2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: John B ]

Jase
09-22-2004, 12:28 AM
I think you will find the "boomerang" reads woodenboat forum too smile.gif he's a lurker....

It seems to have a much larger hole above the waterline yes, almost like a little square "cave" up there......

the rudder came out in one piece.... I thought i was gonna blow the foo-foo valve digging the 'ole:)

John B
09-22-2004, 05:14 AM
Jase, I'm not referring to Russell at all( if that's who you mean.). I'm talking about the armchair admirals and sticky beaks in the yard. I'm sure you'll have just as many over there in Devonport as we have over our side. It's part of the deal.
So I read that you found a centreboard slot in your boat.?

Mike Field
09-22-2004, 06:05 AM
Hh'mmm.... Is this a private conversation, or can anyone join in? smile.gif

Tell us more about this boat of yours, Jase. (We know all about JohnB's. :D ) Could be a nice bit or artwork there on Ngaroma, Johnno. More photos in due course? (Please?)

Jase
09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
heh mike no not private at all smile.gif

My little "tank" is Eona from 1905, built by an obscure boatbuilder in the waikato.... yeah john she had a new mast step along time ago and scraping the paint off around it there was about 6 inches of what looks to me alot like a centre board hole behind it. Harold is 99.9% sure he is right about her Patiki pedigree.

http://www.fordrsoc.org.nz/jase/Eona.jpg

this is her a few weeks ago...

http://www.fordrsoc.org.nz/jase/Eona1914.jpg

and this is her in 1914 smile.gif

John B
09-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Finding a centreboard slot on a keel boat is boat forensics all right. :D You'll be getting a job on CSI before long.

Yeah I'll keep an eye on it and take a couple more Mike. Its hard to see but the black artwork IS actually carved in.
That boat has a rounded stern too! Not sure I can call it a canoe stern though. ?

[ 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

Jase
09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
does the owner have any plans to reinstate the carving??

aren't paint scrapers wonderful forensic tools smile.gif

Mike Field
09-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Ah. That's a nice-looking boat, Jase. Congratulations on her. (Not too much risk of her chainplates pulling out either, is there?) What's her length, about twenty-five feet? Are you still carrying the gaff (can't tell from the photo,) and if so, what about a topsail?

And I agree, finding a c/b slot on her was pretty good sleuthing.

John, that's not a fantail on Ngaroma I don't suppose?

Jase
09-23-2004, 03:42 PM
she's 26 foot and has a hugely heavy bermudan rig at the moment. All the photo's i have of her prior to 1950 she never seems to carry a topsail, so i would imagine they thought there was no need. next Winter should be fully into restoration mode...

Jeremy Burnett
09-24-2004, 02:19 PM
I,ve been trying to work out what the carving is.Not a Fife dragon perhaps but maybe a lobster or prawn.That would mke sense for a fishing boat.Any ideas down there?

John B
09-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi Jeremy.
No nothing as elaborate as that. It's just a stylised scroll/ vine sort of thing. sort of 'comma' ends. That's why I say art nouveux.
I would think she was built as a pleasure launch but has become some sort of working/ fishing boat over the years.
I'll wait for a better day and take some more shots. ( sat here, 7.30 am and it's pouring with rain :rolleyes: ) not a good day for photos OR working on the boat.

Jase
09-24-2004, 05:46 PM
I't sposed to fine up later into a nice day... (i'll believe it when i see it...) i need to go sailing...

Harry Miller
09-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Gidday mates, Devonport sure brings back memories, actually only one: My wife and I and our daughters aged 3 and 5 got off the ferry and I was telling the 3 year old to be careful because the jetty was quite high above the water (10 or 12 feet as I remember) when I turned around to see the 5 year old disappearing over the side. I took two steps toward the edge planning to jump in after her when I saw that she had caught herself on a horizontal beam about 4 feet down. We managed to rescue her without incident but I still shudder to think about it. It was on boxing day 1981 and we were over there to watch the start of the third leg of the round the world yacht race.
Jase are you going to rig her as she was in 1914?

Jase
09-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi Harry, yep thats the plan. I'm keeping an eye out for a 24' mullety gaff rig which is pretty similar.

Were you resident or on holiday at Devonport?

Harry Miller
09-24-2004, 09:07 PM
I had a year off, one of those get paid 80% for 5 years and get one off. We spent 6 months in N.Z. Three months in a flat in Parnell and 3 more on a farm in the South Island near Mayfield. We loved it and as soon as I get those two kids off my payroll (there's only one left) we'll save up to return.