PDA

View Full Version : Been one of those days "work I've done and the skunk just sprayed...

Noah
05-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Hell, Sitt’n in my office I just heard a neighborhood cat scream and the smell of fresh stinky skunk waft into my office...Sh*T...

Anyway, Seems that it is time for spring. Late as is may be up here in Vermont, where we got 4" of snow the other day, emotions are running high. Now is the time that makes or breaks many of us.

Anyway, no I didn't win the lottery or something like that, but I have been doing plenty of work to my boat. Yes, it still leaks, and I think it probably always has. I talked to the first American owner from 1969, and it leaked on him, so I'm guessing I'm not doing so badly...

Anyway, I had a hell of a time doing spring commissioning.

In the last 3 weeks, I have built a new rudder (a really nice one, that even made my Carbon Fiber Melges 24 friends jealous...)

Removed and replaced one new keel bolt and floor. Ok job, but not great. I probably should have left the old one as it took 4 tons of static pressure to pull it out...

Completely sanded down the whole boat, top and bottom. New Pettit UnEpoxy and Kirby's Bright red.

Sanded down and painted the deck a really nice green color.

Wooded the whole cockpit and started the first coat of Varnish.

And today I completely wooded the whole goddamm 38ft mast! Whewww, what a job. My back still hurts. Anyway, it is down to bare wood, and ready to get 6-8 coats of Varnish.

Basically what I'm saying is you can all do it. I have the added benefit of being able to set my own hours to work (seems like I'm working from 7pm to 1-2am each night on making money) and no Significant other to slow me down.

Go for it! Now is the time that we all really want to be out on the water and enjoying life, but someday your boat will be part of it too...keep working towards the end and you will get there. (That's what credit cards are for...or something...)

Keep up the good work, and I will keep up mine.

Noah

Art Read
05-23-2002, 03:26 AM
Nice to know we're not alone, eh? The forum seems to be full of folks hitting there own personal brick walls this evening. Mine today was shaping the compound, reverse curves for a female ballast keel mold. Makes me ENVY you sanding a nice simple spar! ;)

Chin up, folks! (Or as Dan Rather would say, "Courage...")

wolfietuk
05-23-2002, 05:00 AM
Significant others can really help or hinder a project. Between wifes back going out, coaching micro soccer, working 60 hrs per week, spring cleaning ect. ad infinitum. I havent gotten 5 hours on the boat in the last month. I so look out and say good night to her every night. Oh well SWMBO is feeling better and wanting to be on the water so I should get going soon. Okay steem blown off, back to work.

Rick

Jeff Kelety
05-23-2002, 08:13 AM
Whoa, Noah, that's a lot of project. I've got three little ones - Little League, play practices, just messing about - so my "boat days" are often measured in months, not hours. But while the Nais is out of the water this spring, Deb (mother to said three) has been very gracious giving me lots of latitude. Even so, it's taking me all May to get four coats of varnish on the the brightwork (virtually everything above the deck is bright), replace some rivets and get a couple coats on the hull. So hats off to your "list o' stuff".

jgk