PDA

View Full Version : Anti-fouling on prop & prop shaft?

Ross Faneuf
03-16-2003, 11:37 PM
How do the experienced regard using some form of anti-fouling on prop and prop shaft? When we hauled Ceol Mor last year, there was a uniform layer of some kind of growth on both shaft and prop (J-Prop 2 blade feathering). This was a tough uniform layer, brownish and rough, kind of like a membrane. It was beginning to interfere with the feathering action of the prop. Prop and shaft are bronze. I wire brushed it off with a bit of elbow grease today.

I've never considered painting prop & shaft, but now I don't know. I don't want this to persist. Any suggestions?

John B
03-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Props don't like copper antifoul.It's necessary to primer paint them if you want to do that. I smother mine with lanolin grease but it's only so good.

mmd
03-17-2003, 12:12 AM
The cayenne pepper type anti-fouling paints seem to be reasonably effective without causing and galvanic problems due to the usual entrained heavy metals in older types of anti-fouling paint.

John R Smith
03-17-2003, 06:14 AM
Oh dear. I have always anti-fouled my prop. Is this a bad idea?

John

Scott Rosen
03-17-2003, 06:38 AM
My prop is bronze, and I've always put anti-foul on it.

Cedarhill Boatworks
03-17-2003, 05:14 PM
My prop and shaft are bronze. I always buff them up nice and wax them prior to launch.
Three or four times a season I dive under and scrub them clean with a scotch brite pad.
A trip up the river to Hamburg Cove for the night does a world of good as well.

Dan McCosh
03-19-2003, 04:56 PM
This is a wild assumption, but your description doesn't sound like marine growth, but rather some kind of galvanic action. I've had often ended up painting the bronze strut, leaving the shafty and prop bare. I can't quite imagine a "growth" of any substance on a propellor blade. I'd check put the possibility of electrolysis.

Ross Faneuf
03-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Absolutely not galvanic; the organic nature was really obvious when fresh. And underneath everything is just fine. As intended, the shaft zinc took all the galvanic grief.

Cedarhill Boatworks
03-20-2003, 08:08 AM
In my experience barnacles and that insidious green scum will grow on just about anything that stands still long enough. I get barnacles on the prop and the shaft, and most annoyingly on the intake strainer for the deisel. The green stuff is everywhere, but a little work with a soft brush will take it off easy enough.

Dan McCosh
03-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Another reason to get rid of that salt in your water.