PDA

View Full Version : documentation,questions???

islandboy
10-20-2002, 11:56 AM
i,ve been thinking of documenting my boat but don't know the first thing about it or if i can even do it..where do i start,how expensive,what are the advantages/dis advantages,can i do it on-line,what info do i need?etc..i don't know the builder or even the country of origin(england is my guess) and there are no numbers anywhere on the vessel.i have a title that has a hull# but who knows where that came from.anyway,should i even bother with what little info i have? any input we be a big help. thanks,matt

Concordia..41
10-20-2002, 12:15 PM
You can click on this Coast Guard Link: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm
With out having the builder or country of origin I don’t believe you will get it documented. With the Coast Guard you have to show ownership almost back to day 1.

Dave

A. Mason
10-20-2002, 12:45 PM
What kind of documentation are you referring to?

Do you mean recording the provenance of the boat? If so, by posting some pixs here some of the knowledgeable forumites might be able to help identify the origins of your boat.

Many of the owners of my father's designs maintain a notebook/scrapbook on the history of their boat - photos, letters, etc. I've frequently helped folks trace the history of thier boat though I usually only have original owner info and photos.

If your boat was U.S.-registered, her vessel documentation number remained constant over the years, no matter what her name, hailing port, or owner's name has been over the years. I've traced a number of my father's designs that way.

Hope this helps, Anita