PDA

View Full Version : Shipwright NEEDED

Ron Fischer
11-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Reproduction Historic Sailing Vessel Shipwright NEEDED

Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site in Charleston, SC, "The Birthplace of South Carolina," seeks an experienced shipwright to lead the reconstruction and ongoing maintenance of the late 17th Century reproduction sailing vessel, THE ADVENTURE. Designed by W.A. Baker and built by the Richardson Boatworks in 1969, THE ADVENTURE is an icon of the original Charles Towne settlement and maritime history. A square-rigged ketch, she is scheduled for a major rebuild and continued prominent use as a major part of this national historic site. This position will manage the maritime maintenance program and provide public information regarding the vessel. A high school diploma and four (4) year experience in maritime maintenance or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Coast Guard Mate or Master License beneficial. Salary Band Range: $21,679-$40,108 (Minimum Starting Salary: $24,391). For more information or an application contact (843) 852-4200 or on the web at www.state.sc.us/jobs. (http://www.state.sc.us/jobs.) Closing Date: December 2, 2002.

On Vacation
11-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Thats less than the minimum poverty guidelines for a family of around 29 plus or minus thousand???? State job?? Is that a misprint?

[ 11-07-2002, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Oyster ]

Paul Scheuer
11-07-2002, 09:34 PM
What's a square-rigged ketch ?

Mac_Muz
11-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Paul, I searched this http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/sci/A0827469.html

here is what it says...

ketch

ketch, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel with a mainmast forward carrying a mainsail and jibs. It has a mizzenmast aft, stepped forward of the rudder post. In the United States, ketch-rigged vessels are widely used today as yachts. The term was formerly applied to a two-masted square-rigged vessel with the mainmast stepped amidship. Widely employed in offshore fishing by American colonists until about 1700, the ketch was also used until the mid-19th cent. as a warship in European navies.

This link will take you to a pen and ink type drawing that MIGHT be something like what this boat MIGHT be ...

http://www.chycor.co.uk/heritage-publishing/ships/nonsuch.htm

For the money.... I guess they are gonna hunt for awhile.. Mac

Ron Fischer
11-08-2002, 02:17 PM
This is a state job with excellent job security and benefits--not to mention living in beautiful Charleston. The posting has the job salary range. By policy we have to start the position at the minimum starting salary but there will be leeway dependent on experience and/or education. Also note that the cost of living in South Carolina and Charleston is not as high as northern states and cities.

Thanks for looking. This position is a great opportunity to begin a new maritime program with a classic reproduction historic vessel.

On Vacation
11-08-2002, 04:23 PM
:D :D I got some waterfront property in Arizona for you, Dave. :D :D
Now you know the rest of the story on retirement, Dave.

[ 11-08-2002, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Oyster ]

On Vacation
11-08-2002, 04:52 PM
YEP. I have been called that myself somewhere I think. I found out a long time ago that many of the groupies were retired engineers that "Knew " more than I did. So I respectfully declined-quit with an attitude. Haven't lost it yet, either. As far as my time? Trout and Flounder today. Got to go for a "business" trip this weekend, the business of having fun on my own time, with a bunch of rotten APPLES. Yo folla??

Ron Fischer
11-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the hospitality LOON.

On Vacation
11-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Loon, just to clear something up, this is a normal spill in the field using forums It maybe cheap to Northern Real Esate prices but Charleston and the coastal regions of the Carolinas and Georgia, housing has gone through the roof. Try paying rent of start 700 for a decent house or 125,000 to buy a fixer up on 12 dollars an hour. A Captain with a Masters license either got it from the sea school and doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground and especially wooden boats or is making 60 thousand and more and well worth its weight in gold.

Then they get another one to take the job for six months. Benefits is hard to take to Harris Tetter for groceries in Charleston or anywhere else.

Ron, is this the boat that the fellows from Sea Island was working on?

[ 11-08-2002, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Oyster ]

George Roberts
11-08-2002, 06:01 PM
From time to time I hire people for a year or two at a time to help build boats.

I start them near the top of that job's range. And I require no skills just ability.

bugeye
11-08-2002, 09:02 PM
Hi,
Holy cripes! Boat carpenters making $60/hr? Here, $20 to$30 is common, and $40 is the highest that I know of. Too bad you can't bring the boat up here to have her rebuilt, I'd love to do it. Right now I am rebuilding the last boat that Mr. Jim built. How bad is she? I went to St.Mary's college in Md. ten years ago and at that time, they were starting to have troubles with the Dove, and I heard a rumor that they are considering building a new one. This project of yours is very interesting to me.

bugeye
11-09-2002, 06:34 AM
Hi,
yes there is a difference. Pretense.

Chris Coose
11-09-2002, 08:22 AM
Boatyards may be charging $60.00 but they are generally paying less than 1/2 of that to the employee.
The only self employed boat carpenter I know charges $45.00/hour for repairs and brief work. For restoration and building from scratch he could not expect that much or he would be trying to sell 12 footers at 11 large.
Then there is the entire discussion on the difference between working for a non-profit and a for profit outfit.

Mac_Muz
11-09-2002, 08:44 AM
I sure did not think I was rude..... But for most folks that pay is lacking....

For me it would be a great job! But I don't have the paper work, and I am not sure I would want to live there. Short of papers, and sailing a rig like this one I might even qualify. There ain't much I can't repair.....

As a Historical re-enactor this would be a great chance to deal with the public, and get hands on seeing as to the ways things were done back then.

I hope he gets a guy that does have re-enactor and speaking under his belt....

The money for modern folks is low if you ask me. And most modern folks would want to be wearing their normal clothing, which I think takes away from ship board activities.

This is done this way at Mystic as well... Guys in jeans and blue shirts wearing sneakers man the vessels...(naty modern sea fairin clothing) They also have wrist watches, and pens in the pockets... and on and on....

For the ship to be right the crew must be right the way I see it, even if the crew is one man most of the time....

I have done many demo's for places and learned the talking bit. It was hard at first because I was not used to speaking to a large group.

You must KNOW what your talking about and even be skilled in things dealing with the topic.

What good is it if you talk about starting fire with a bow drill, but can't do it? So I learned how first...

I learned about knots, and profit with the turks head knot, which I tie in silver wire as a ring for sale sometimes.. many moderns think this is a waste of time, and want to gain faster in the world....

Any way my 2 cents and I apologize if I was rude... Mac

Ron Fischer
11-09-2002, 10:22 PM
Oyster. Nope this is a different project. Those fellas are building a new boat from scratch. The Spirit of South Carolina. We have a good partnership with them and hope to share resources and labor. Charleston is really starting to come into its own with an appreciation of its maritime heritage.

This shipwright position will be primarily in modern clothing with somewhat regular interaction with the public, special tours, etc. We have a living history program that will take advantage of the "authentic" opportunities and this person will be able to take part, if interested.

Gary Bergman
11-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Geez...and I'm in the process of buying a square rigged ketch and doing the same out of my own pocket...mebbe we could raft up, share the labor pool and I could do project management on both instead of all the refastening. We have a Richardson square rigged ketch here in the bay area,only she's steel hulled. 65' on deck 102 or somethin' overall, is yours anything similar?

Gary Bergman
11-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Nevermind! Cancel my Application! I started reading in the middle of the thread. I knock down 80-100k as a dumb Ironworker/Rigger foreman, and I'm at the poverty level on the left coast. Average joes make more than offered at my place in the sticks in South Dakota. Geez!