PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Challenge

WWheeler
02-19-2003, 03:29 PM
This site's just been updated; some great pics sailing the 35' "Bantry boats".

Atlantic Challenge (http://www.atlanticchallenge.org)

http://www.atlanticchallenge.org/images/cansail.jpg

Hugh Paterson
02-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Tremendous stuff, I tried to Gel a team of people to build one of these around Glasgow, and the idea fell on deaf ears, pity :(
Shug.

WWheeler
02-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Hugh, is there a Scottish group of AC? I've heard there's a Welsh group, and if they can do it, shurely the Scots can.

Stu Fyfe
02-20-2003, 01:18 PM
I stumbled across an AC Bantry Bay boat in Findhorn, Scotland two years ago when I was looking for Ian Oughtred.

Hugh Paterson
02-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Yup ur right the findhorn boat is the only Scottish Atlantic challenge boat so far, I have talked to them and been invited up to have a go, not had the time to follow up on it too busy at the mo. Would still like to have a crack at building one here but cannot get anyone to bite and help with the fundraising, Pity. I have a lot of experience in youth training especially with navy type whalers a few years ago and thought it would be easy to raise a crew to build an AC
Gig, looking into the possibility of doing somthing slightly smaller meatime with my Naval Cadets, we already build our own dinghys and kayaks, seems like a natural progression to build bigger. :D
Shug.

WWheeler
02-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Shug, the AC group here built one a few years ago, and they're talking about building another one in the next year or so, but I was wondering if we shouldn't do something smaller as a warmup. Perhaps a 4-man boat, like a captains gig or such? This would also be useful as a training boat, I think. Any suggestions?

Hugh Paterson
02-21-2003, 03:34 AM
Gigs are brillant boats, I fell in love with them when I spotted one in Cornwall in the 70's, There is a boatbuilder in the Southwest still building them, but he is the only one I know of, John might know of a few more? I think the race series in the South west and in the Isles of Scilly use different size boats, but look similar, from memory I think the Scilly Isles boats are a bit longer. It might be worth talking to Paul Gartside
if u are looking for ideas I suspect he might have somthing suitable in his portfolio, I have a hankering to build one of his boats, just trying to find time to fit it all in :D I will dig out my back issues of Magazines I am sure I read somthing last year on the subject
Iain Oughtred also has a couple of 15ft(ish) boats in his designs in epoxy ply that may be suitable for trad construction! Although not Gigs
they have nice lines for a rowboat for use on open water.
Regards
Shug.

Dave Hadfield
02-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Will, I love seeing those boats out with all those young people aboard. We go by them frequently of course, with Drake based at Bay Moorings. I point out to my kids "You should be doing that, not sitting here in luxury, eating potato chips and reading books," but for some reason they haven't volunteered.

Eveybody along the harbour shore stops and watches when they race each other under oar.

They sail fast, too, when the wind is fair, though tacking is a bit of a procedure.

Long may the program continue!

WWheeler
02-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Dave, thanks for the vote of support. I've spoken to several past participants in the program, and they say it's really changed for their lives (for the better). Wish I'd done it. Applications will be posted soon on the web site.

I got an e-mail from one of the directors saying they're looking for for donations: new life jackets, new safety gear, flares etc. Also, they're looking for a new chase boat, I guess something a little bigger than the 8' Zodiac. Contact Kieth Prentice at radar000@csolve.net

[ 02-21-2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: WWheeler ]