PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got ...

TomF
10-19-2005, 01:32 PM
the Smithsonian's catalogue of ship plans handy? OEX has infected me with his love of Gloucester Sloop Boats, and I think I'll have to plunk down some cash for whatever sheets of plans Chapelle was kind enough to let them have of Vesta (her lines are in American Sailing Craft). At the same time, I think I'll spring for Chapelle's drawings of the Eastport Pinky, from the same catalogue (also from ASC)

I don't have the catalogue, and needless to say it isn't in my public library either. I don't fancy the idea of waiting for 4 weeks for it to come, followed by another 4 weeks or so of waiting 'till me plans arrive ...

Perhaps some gentle compassionate soul can send me a p.m. if they're willing to help.

t.

Thad
10-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Vesta: ASC-13, lines $3
Typical Gloucester Sloop: ASC 15, sail, spar and rigging plan, $3
Eastport Pinky: ASC 16, lines, $3 and sail, spar, and rigging, $3

TomF
10-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks fine sir. And the couple of other fine sirs who sent similar info via pm.

This is a good place.

Aeronca
10-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Thad, would the Smithsonian's list also include line drawings/offsets for the Beetle Cat? Going to MA in a week to pick up a project boat. Thanks.

Thad
10-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Beetle Inc owns the design for the Beetle Cat. The Catboat Book has an article by Waldo Howland (then owner of the Cocordia Co. and builder of the Beetle Cat) includiing a sail plan and arrangement drawing. The book Early One Design Sailboats has a chapter on the Beetle Cat also that may have the same drawing. I don't know of any other published drawings and no offsets. You would have to talk to Beetle, Inc. but I think they would only help you in the way of doing the restoration work for you or by selling you parts needed. I would expect to work with what you have.

Aeronca
10-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Yes, I've read Howland's article in The Catboat book. Perhaps I'll touch base with Mystic Seaport. Appreciate your help.

raycon
10-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Aeronca,
For what its worth the bargainnews has a beetle cat listed this week. Listed as ready for restoration and on a trailer with rig. Its in Norwalk.

Ray

BrianY
10-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Just a thought - the International Yatch Restoration School in Newprt RI specializes in Beetle Cat restorations. They may be able to assist you in some way.

http://www.iyrs.org/