PDA

View Full Version : winterizing tools

Jim Budde
10-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Some time ago I aked what y'al did to prevent rust on tools .. paticularly table saw and hand planes. Remember several folks used wax .. but do not remember what / how. So, with Nebraska winter coming and shop time diminishing .. what kind of wax do you use and how do yo appy it?

Canoeyawl
10-08-2005, 05:08 PM
I use Johnsons paste wax...

Nicholas Carey
10-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Boeshield T-9
http://www.boeshield.com/

aerosol wax developed by Boeing to protect airframe components against corrosion

works great

Tom M.
10-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I use paste wax too. Smalser uses bluing on some things like chisels and planes. I'll try that in the future. Thanks Bob.

Does that T-9 have any sillycone in it? I couldn't find ingredients on the website.

[ 10-08-2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Tom M. ]

Paul Pless
10-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Smalser uses bluing on some things like chisels and planes. Like I believe that Smalser's tools get rested enough to rust. smile.gif

Del Lansing
10-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Has anyone tried something like "Aqua-cool"? It is a rust inhibiting liquid used in machine shops, mixed with water it is that milky goo they run in a stream over the cutting tools for cooling. Even when mixed with water, when dried it prevents rust on machined steel parts. Whereas water can float off wax and oil, Aqua-cool just works in solution or out.
edited to add: Use this in my "moose milk" for cleaning/swabbing out my black-powder arms. Never had any rust or corrosion, never used oil.

[ 10-09-2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Del Lansing ]

kc8pql
10-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Paste wax is good, Johnsons or Trewax or even good car wax. Nothing to clean off when you use the machine again. Boeshield is excelent but leaves a coating that needs to be removed before you use the machine again. It's great for stuff on the boat too.

crawdaddyjim50
10-09-2005, 11:43 AM
complicated tools, lots of small parts and hard to get to places I use LPS, has a wax base that stays after the solvent dry off. I do not spray into motors, although I suppose you could with a universal type would probably take hand turning to clean contact ring in order for it to start up. Hand tools get blued if they will take it and then waxed with a paste wax wood and all. Hope this helps. P.S. LPS is available at the Big Box.

Jim Budde
10-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks, folks!

Nicholas Carey
10-09-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't believe Boeshield has silicone in it — at least the MSDS doesn't list it. It's waxes and solvents. Slippery isn't the point of the the stuff.

THis page, http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Inhibitors/CPCs.htm has some interesting results for commercial available corrosion inhibitors. [edited to add: The complete paper, The Protection Performance of Corrosion Prevention Compounds on Aluminium Alloys in Laboratory and Outdoor Environments (http://www.jcaa.us/AA_Conference_2000/Th-02.pdf) from which the following is drawn is at the previous link.]

Some quotes:

CPC Performance Testing - Salt Spray

The Times to Failure (TTF) for various CPCs are shown in Figures II-IV. Most of the WDSF CPCs provided protection for periods of less than 100 hours. The notable exceptions were Boeshield T-9 (270 hours) and CRC Protector 100 (840+ hours) (Figure II). These two products have a waxy consistency when dry compared to the other products which have an oily texture.Another one, simulating maritime patrol usage (it was developed for corrosion prevention in aircraft):
CPC Performance Testing - Simulated Maritime Patrol Environment

The results for products tested in the simulated P-3C environment and are shown in Figure V. Many of the WDSF products provided protection for between 1000 and 3000 hours with Boeshield T-9 the best performer at 5664 hours, at which time the test was stopped. This was a surprising result given that the WDSF CPCs are only soft films and they generally did not perform well in the NSS test.

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Inhibitors/images/CPCs-t5.gif

[ 10-09-2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Nicholas Carey ]

Bob Smalser
10-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I just wipe'em off with an oily rag when I'm done using them.

Machine tables, too.

[ 10-09-2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Bob Smalser ]

raycon
10-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Joiner,planer,tablesaw,bandsaw,etc...get transmission fluid on machined surfaces.Once the feed begins to "stick" then I'll wax the surface.